Important Do I need to remove a fish?

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok I was recently told I could keep a female betta in my community tank with male guppies. It’s been 3 days and she’s split two of their tails already. I’m assuming she’s the culprit because my guppies nip but never split. Do I wait a week or so until she settles in or take her out now? I never actually see it happen when I watch them they leave each other alone so it must happen at night. Any advice with female betta and guppies?

It’s a 15 gal with 4 male guppies 5 white clouds and the female betta

Lebeeze

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I was always told not to keep bettas with guppys because they look too similar, but I think this is just for male bettas. You might just have a really mean female betta that wont tolerate tank mates? I'm not an expert though

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Lebeeze said:
I was always told not to keep bettas with guppys because they look too similar, but I think this is just for male bettas. You might just have a really mean female betta that wont tolerate tank mates? I'm not an expert though
Yeah I’ve always been told it’s the males who are aggressive. I’ve seen plenty of community tanks with bettas so I’m wondering if she’s just getting used to having tank mates. I think I’ll give her a week and watch closely for any more damage

Goldfishknees

Reaction score
Ren1920 said:
Yeah I’ve always been told it’s the males who are aggressive. I’ve seen plenty of community tanks with bettas so I’m wondering if she’s just getting used to having tank mates. I think I’ll give her a week and watch closely for any more damage
Keep an eye on her where there's so many other fish she may just be trying to dominate if she continues this behavior for more the 3 more days I would remove her.

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfishknees said:
Keep an eye on her where there's so many other fish she may just be trying to dominate if she continues this behavior for more the 3 more days I would remove her.
Thank you! I definitely will! I have a nice 3.5 gallon I can move her to if needed

Goldfishknees said:
And the more I look she seems meaner when she’s hungry, after I feed she’s extremely docile

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfishknees said:
How often do you feed her
Twice a day but my guppies are a bit faster so she normally eats off the bottom

Goldfishknees

Reaction score
Ren1920 said:
Twice a day but my guppies are a bit faster so she normally eats off the bottom
Try feeding the guppies and minnows on one side of the tank and feed your Betta on the other side

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfishknees said:
Try feeding the guppies and minnows on one side of the tank and feed your Betta on the other side
Thing is is that she doesn’t notice when it’s time to eat and only heads up after feeding starts in which my guppies have already eaten their share. I’ve been making sure enough falls to the bottom for her though

Goldfishknees

Reaction score
Ren1920 said:
Thing is is that she doesn’t notice when it’s time to eat and only heads up after feeding starts in which my guppies have already eaten their share. I’ve been making sure enough falls to the bottom for her though
She may be trying to chase the guppies away from the food because you said she's aggressive before feeding it sounds like you should remove the Betta because she's uncomfortable having those tanks mates some females are just not compatible with any other creature

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfishknees said:
She may be trying to chase the guppies away from the food because you said she's aggressive before feeding it sounds like you should remove the Betta because she's uncomfortable having those tanks mates some females are just not compatible with any other creature
She’s not aggressive at all during feeding time it is literally only at night. No fin nipping during the day, maybe a small chase but that’s it. I always wake up after going to bed with one fish intact and waking up to him with a ripped tail

Goldfishknees

Reaction score
Ren1920 said:
She’s not aggressive at all during feeding time it is literally only at night. No fin nipping during the day, maybe a small chase but that’s it. I always wake up after going to bed with one fish intact and waking up to him with a ripped tail
It may be the the guppies are still zipping around while she's trying to sleep I have 3 females and they hate fast fish

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfishknees said:
It may be the the guppies are still zipping around while she's trying to sleep I have 3 females and they hate fast fish
She doesn’t bother my minnows though who are just as fast *sigh* I guess I’ll just have to watch her and make sure she isn’t too aggressive anymore and if she is move her to my small tank

Goldfishknees

Reaction score
Ren1920 said:
She doesn’t bother my minnows though who are just as fast *sigh* I guess I’ll just have to watch her and make sure she isn’t too aggressive anymore and if she is move her to my small tank
Just watch and if it continues for 3 more days remove her

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfishknees said:
Just watch and if it continues for 3 more days remove her
Will do!

Debbie1986

Well Known
Reaction score
some female bettas are VERY pushy.

I'd remove her. She'll be fine alone in a tank.

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Debbie1986 said:

I’m not sure it’s her now /: I just witnessed one of my guppies biting and harassing the ones with tail rips so now im thinking it could be him.

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Debbie1986 said:

Plus I’ve never actually seen my betta go after any of my fish I just assumed it was her since she’s new

Goldfishknees

Reaction score
Ren1920 said:
Plus I’ve never actually seen my betta go after any of my fish I just assumed it was her since she’s new
How many female guppies do you have and how many male

OP
Ren1920

Ren1920

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Goldfishknees said:
How many female guppies do you have and how many male
4 males no female I didn’t want them to reproduce. They’ve never been aggressive like this before besides when I first got them 5 months ago he’s just now aggressive again after adding the betta or it really is the betta

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom