do i need to re-cycle my tank?

1. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Yesterday my husband begged me to go to the LFS with him because he wanted another Bolivian Ram. I agreed and off we went. When we got there, not only did they have a tank of Bolivian Rams, but also a tank of German Blue Rams. The GBR being a perfect centerpiece fish for a 29 gallon tank that I had yet to purchase. What to do?!?!?!

I did what any fish person would do and I bought the 29 gallon tank and a stand. Now relax, the fish are going into a quarantine tank, not the new one. We purchased 5 half inch long GBR's.

So we got home and I built the stand, placed a layer of black gravel on the bottom and planted some Anubias and some Swords, then placed a layer of aquarium sand on top of that. This being my first foray into sand. Since I live in Wisconsin, nobody had pool filter sand out yet, which is why I did a layer of gravel. It works out better for the plants tho and looks kinda cool.

Back on subject I added the water, let the sand settle back down (yes I did rinse it before placing it in the tank) and started up the filter and heater. I waited for about an hour before taking a seeded sponge from my 10 gallon (it had 2 sponges and biomax) and placing that into my new tank. Next, I threw in a bottle of TSS. I know it wasn't necessary, but it doesn't hurt to add it, especially since the sponge was from a 10 gallon tank. At that point, I also added 5 gallons of water from my 10 gallon as well as 4 neon tetras, 1 cardinal tetra, 1 peppered cory, and 2 spotted corries.

Everything was running great, the fish seemed happy, and I went to bed. This morning I got up to find that my filter was no longer running. I have no idea how long it wasn't running for. So my question:

Is the "instant cycle" and TSS shot because the filter stopped working? I'm afraid to take readings on the water because I used the TSS and they'd be wacky from that. Is it even possible that I still have some live bacteria remaining and that the TSS will still work? What do you recommend my next step be?

2. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

The bacteria aren't going to die overnight, so you can relax :)

Did you get the filter running?

3. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Yes the filter is running. I have no idea what happened or why it stopped working. Best guess is that the power strip was plugged into a hot/cold outlet in the "cold" spot. I have no idea which light switch controls it and I wasn't even aware that there was one in that room, but it works now. I am relieved to hear that the bacteria should still be alive though!

4. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

A well established bacteria colony can last a long time. There was a thread recently dealing with that. The person had media that had been without a food source for a couple months or something, and apparently there was enough still there to get through the cycle.

5. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Well the filter has quit working 3 times since Saturday night. It looks like where the impeller connects to the motor keeps disconnecting. When I push the part of the tube down where the intake curves and goes down to the motor it restarts every time. Not to happy with the reliability of this filter.....It was a tank kit though and I didn't plan on keeping the filter. Maybe I'll have to replace it sooner than I planned.

6. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Lucky!!! You found GBR Ive been looking for them and have had no luck arghh

wait what part of Wisconsin do u live in

7. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

If you're up for the drive, the Petsmart in Delavan has a tank full of them and also of Bolivian's. They look nice. I'll grab some pics of the GBR's later, but they are some nice looking fish.

8. I keep fish Well Known Member Member

Thats not worth it :D ill pay more in gas than shipping for buying online.lol

9. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

True that and it's not like there's even anything to do there to make the trip worthwhile. Luckily, it's only 35 mins from where I live and I sometimes work in the city.

10. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

Seeing as how the filter on the new tank died 3 times in 1 day, I bought a Marineland Emperor 280....and now the other filter is working perfectly. Oh well, I guess that's just how things go.

11. Meeps83 Well Known Member Member

I used the Marineland for 3 days and I hated it. The filter is gigantic, the extensions don't work with my tank, the intake is HUGE, one of the holes in the spray bar didn't work, the biowheel didn't turn, and it was VERY LOUD. I'm still looking for the receipt....who knows how that will pan out though. I bought another AquaClear 70 and have that on there. I'm much happier and I can actually see into the tank now!