Do I Need To Feed My Shrimp?

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Most shrimp that are sold for a fresh water tank are algae eaters. Cherry shrimp, Ghost shrimp, and Amano shrimp will all be fine just eating algae. BUT there may be too much algae for your tiny shrimp to eat it all up.

There are shrimp foods available, if you think they are not getting enough to eat.

Good luck!!

JamieXPXP

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
yes you will need to feed them something else along with the algae so that they can get all the nutrients they need

Kristian Acevedo

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I disagree about ghost shrimp, they tend to be more carnivorous than simply algae. At least that’s how mine were. my red cherry shrimp on the other hand have never been fed except for algae and biofilm that is in my tank, and I have had a thriving colony for about 4 months now that constantly is growing

darlingfishie

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I suppose that's possible. I never had any trouble with my ghost shrimp, but that may well have been because they were taking advantage of left overs from fish feeding time.
I have a bad habit of assuming that there are fish in every tank. If this tank is only shrimp, some supplementing is probably a good idea.

Sakana魚

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
They are red crystal shrimp and amanos. Soon blue velvets or dream blues, some sort of neo.

Whats are the top best things to feed them? How much and how often?

-Mak-

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I would. I've seen my amanos eating cherry shrimp if I don't feed them. No proof that the cherry shrimp wasn't already dead, but the amanos are very aggressive when hungry. Algae wafers or shrimp pellets every couple days should suffice

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom