20 Gallon Tank Do I need to do water changes?

awsambfishkeeper

I know this might sound like a pretty nooby question but...
My water parameters are:
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
about 1-2 nitrate
ph 7.9

I have 4 male guppies and 1 female honey sunset gourami.

It has been about a week since my last change. I figured that there would be no point really to change the water since none of my parameters are high enough to be of concern. It would just be a stressful process for no real reason.

If you can tell me your thoughts.
And I think my 3 anubias live plants are helping with the nitrate situation. Thanks

Henri

Water changes aren't needed to reduce nitrates only. Water changes are crucial to a healthy tank because not only they reduce with waste, but also replenish the water with oxygen and the minerals needed for your fish and plants to grow healthy.

Fall River

I agree with HenrI about the trace minerals. At the same time I also let my nitrate level kinda dictate how much water I change.
All my tanks are planted and the nitrates never get close to 20ppm, but, fresh water NEVER hurts.

awsambfishkeeper

Oh thank you for responding! I'm sure you know more than I do but my understanding was that minerals were bad for the water and people did things to get rid of them and not replenish them. Thanks!

josh40996

No, without minerals our tanks would never thrive, plants and fish use minerals for growth and repair just like we do. Doing water changes replenish these minerals and if we didn't do water changes these minerals would be used up and our livestock will suffer.

awsambfishkeeper

Oh wow! Thank you! You have just saved my tank. Now I know the necessity of doing frequent water changes. I thank you

Aquarist

Good morning,

Yes, nothing beats fresh water for your fish and plants.

Ken

Jaysee

awsambfishkeeper said:
I know this might sound like a pretty nooby question but...
My water parameters are:
0 ammonia
0 nitrite
about 1-2 nitrate
ph 7.9

I have 4 male guppies and 1 female honey sunset gourami.

It has been about a week since my last change. I figured that there would be no point really to change the water since none of my parameters are high enough to be of concern. It would just be a stressful process for no real reason.

If you can tell me your thoughts.
And I think my 3 anubias live plants are helping with the nitrate situation. Thanks
Water changes are not stressful, unless you never do them. Like anything else, the fish get used to it.

For your tank, I don't think you need to do weekly water changes. There ARE reasons other than nitrates to do water changes, like was said, but based on the specifics of your tank I say frequent water changes are not necessary. Every other or every 3rd is what I would do.

awsambfishkeeper

Alrighty thanks guys! And at that time should I also vacuum?

Random Great Thread

Latest threads

Top Bottom