Do I need to do anything about this algae?

clearsight
I've had my 20 gallon freshwater tank set up for around 5 weeks. Everything is going fine. these green spots started showing up a few days ago.
They are really stuck to the rocks. i pulled the rocks out and rinsed them off and rubbed them with my fingers, but that didn't do much.
Should I pull them out and be more aggressive or not worry about them. i don't mind the look.
Thanks

fallfever
Is it green or brown? Either way, just wipe it off. A little manual labor never hurt Brown algae (diatoms) is really common in a new tank and can be wiped off or eventually will stop growing. You can usually control algae with the amount of light you provide. Eight hours is a good starting point but you may be able to do more or less. Algae will not hurt your fish and I find it to look natural. Just keep it under control. Your tank looks good.

clearsight
Thanks

Betta'sAnonymous
Or you could leave it. Feed a snail with it!

clearsight
what kind of snail do you recommend?

StarGirl
Nerites clean good and don't reproduce in fresh water. You don't need to do anything with it.

GuppyOverlord11
Some fish will also eat algae. Occasionally I see my guppies just chowing down on some algae in my tank. I'll let them eat for a while, but then I eventually clean it. No probs so far.

clearsight
StarGirl said:
Nerites clean good and don't reproduce in fresh water. You don't need to do anything with it.
Is one snail enough? or should I get 2

StarGirl
clearsight said:
Is one snail enough? or should I get 2
You could do 2 in a 20. Just make sure you keep the biofilm for them. Don't clean too much. They really don't eat much like Ottos.

mc12345
clearsight said:
I've had my 20 gallon freshwater tank set up for around 5 weeks. Everything is going fine. these green spots started showing up a few days ago.
They are really stuck to the rocks. i pulled the rocks out and rinsed them off and rubbed them with my fingers, but that didn't do much.
Should I pull them out and be more aggressive or not worry about them. i don't mind the look.
Thanks
I'm actually having the same problem with my 75 gallon tank. It is covered in diatoms and no matter how much I clean them off, they just keep coming back. It was caused by a combination of zeolite in my filter and the silica from the pool filter sand. It doesn't harm your fish, but it is unsightly lol. I've spoken to a few people who have all said that it is natural and happens a lot with newer tanks too. I plan on changing my filter media asap. In regards to the nerite snail, definitely get a few. I had 2 in a 10 gallon so you could do 2-4 maybe, though I'd go with 3. I have one in my tank right now with the diatoms and he is thriving lol. I will definitely be getting more.

Marlene327
StarGirl said:
You could do 2 in a 20. Just make sure you keep the biofilm for them. Don't clean too much. They really don't eat much like Ottos.
I have a question about nerites when they lay eggs. Will anything clean those up, like maybe corydoras? I don't like the white spots, had one once and gave it away. I'd like to mentally get past it and get 2 more for my 40g.

StarGirl
Mar1111 said:
I have a question about nerites when they lay eggs. Will anything clean those up, like maybe corydoras? I don't like the white spots, had one once and gave it away. I'd like to mentally get past it and get 2 more for my 40g.
No nothing will eat them. They are hard and hard to remove. Just have to live with them and scrape off what you can.

Strider1520
BEAUTIFUL TANK! I love the scaping you did - looks great !!! My diatoms started showing up yesterday as well.

MacZ
There is no reason for any algae eaters. And honestly: In this tank a nerite snail will starve with that miniscule amount of algae.

SnookusFish
Also I think the eggs from the nerite snail will be uglier than the algae itself. Look at ramshorn snails or use a toothbrush to scrub the algae off

MacZ
Toothbrushes and elbow grease. Best thing to do about algae.

I myself don't remove algae except from the front glass.

clearsight
StarGirl said:
No nothing will eat them. They are hard and hard to remove. Just have to live with them and scrape off what you can.
Any way to sex the snails and only put in a couple of males? No eggs?

SotaAquatics
clearsight said:
Any way to sex the snails and only put in a couple of males? No eggs?
Project I am going to be starting soon with Red Racers. My planned approach will be keeping a batch together for awhile, then separating them out into some containers with sacrificial drift wood/plants. Won't be fool proof by any means but hoping to be able to pull mostly males for my display tank. I believe with olive nerites you can possibly tell by a skin flap over an eye for females/males but I don't believe there is a way for any others other than trial and error.

Latest threads

Top Bottom