Do I need to cycle tank after upgrade?

elisa001

HI everyone I currently have a 29 gal established tank that has been running for a few years. It has 1 goldfish and 1 snail. It has had a penguin HOB filter for a few years and I just added in an extra sponge filter yesterday.

I plan to buy 55 gal tank today and eventually get 1 or 2 more goldfish. I will put everything (both filters, sand, fake driftwood, water, heater, etc.) into the 55 gal. The goldfish I have now will also be immediately put into the new tank. Do I need to cycle the 55 gal or will all the bb in from the 29 gal be sufficient? How long should I wait until I can add another goldfish?

Demeter

You should be fine, just keep an eye on the levels for a couple weeks before adding the new goldfish. I did about the same after moving all my inverts to a 36gal, all has been well for a week and they seem to be thriving.

mattgirl

You are basically just moving the cycle from one tank to another. By doing so there will be enough bacteria to handle the bio-load of the goldfish and snail you have right now. I would let the tank run for a couple of weeks before adding more fish and if possible just add one at a time. By waiting a couple of weeks before adding more fish it will give the bacteria time to grow on all the new surfaces in the new tank.

Just keep an eye on the perimeters after each addition and do water changes as needed. You may see a small ammonia spike after each addition but it shouldn't last long. This would be a good time to use Prime to detox the low levels of ammonia you may experience.

Craig_84

HI everyone I currently have a 29 gal established tank that has been running for a few years. It has 1 goldfish and 1 snail. It has had a penguin HOB filter for a few years and I just added in an extra sponge filter yesterday.

I plan to buy 55 gal tank today and eventually get 1 or 2 more goldfish. I will put everything (both filters, sand, fake driftwood, water, heater, etc.) into the 55 gal. The goldfish I have now will also be immediately put into the new tank. Do I need to cycle the 55 gal or will all the bb in from the 29 gal be sufficient? How long should I wait until I can add another goldfish?
Just did a similar thing last week but only moved the internal filter over to run with new one for a few weeks. I did run the new filter in old tank for a week also which I am not sure that was even long enough for much bb to be honest. I got new gravel as it seemed like it would just create a gunky mess I knew I’d lose bb but most were in the filter. I used about 80% of old tank water for less fish stress also with temp,ph all being the same.

Also added seachem stability when new tank was up and going to make sure.

As for adding fish I added a few this week all being said they have a smaller bio load than a gold fish.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Amatyi1
  • Question
Replies
Views
jaycopper
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies