Do I need to consider rehoming Ferdinand?

Sputnik

Looking for advice on a recently established multI tank ( my first cichlid tank). The tank is a 20 long, species only and fully cycled by transplanting a sponge from an established tank and using fritzyme. I got 4 adults from my LFS but 3 were males, then I decided to get an additional 3 adults and 4 fry from a local hobbyist. I know this was a bad idea on many levels, but I placed the additionsal adults and fry in the tank last week ( the first group had only been in a week prior to the introduction). All seemed to integrate well except one - the largest fish( presumed male) who hangs around the sponge filter. I added shells ( over 50 in the tank now, and placed some nice ones by the filter, but he still hangs out up top a lot of time, and I have seen mouth fighting with the second largest fish ( also presumably male). No injuries noted ad yetbit I feel bad for this one fishafter watching this behavior for almost a week. Any suggestions? Should I allow more time? It seems to me the territory boundaries are still somewhat fluid right now. Any suggestions appreciated!

MacZ

In a 20 you can keep 2, maybe 3 males tops. That guy, and maybe another one will have to go. Sorry to say so. You might want to use the rocks as dividers, which works quite nicely when you stack them at least 15 cm high.

Sputnik

Thanks for the info- I have low rocks and plants to break up lines of sight and delineate territories, but worry about too many rocks and digging- What about trying a tank divider as a temporary measure? With social distancing its hard right now to rehome a single fish...

MacZ

I can see your attempts at dividing with rocks in the picture, that's not enough, sadly.

Hmmm... you can try, problem is multis are small. So chose your divider wisely.

Sputnik

I’m up for an experiment- I will keep you posted regarding results! Thanks again for the information

MacZ

you're welcome! :)

Sputnik

Also- Ferdinand ( outcast) does hang out with other fish- a smaller one and the fry share his territory. Not sure if that adds useful information

MacZ

Not really helpful at that stage, no.

Sputnik

Update! I ordered a good divider and in the meantime used craft mesh to make a temporary divider. It seems to work so far. I appear to have two groups. Ferdinand’s has roughly 8 fish (three smaller presumably female adults and 4 juveniles/fry in his section of the tank) and the other side has an unmistakable harem of one male and two females. Ferdinand’s behavior is much more normal and he is exploring the tank now. Eventually I will have to deal with fry from new breeding but this is working so far, and although the craft mesh is flimsy, the gaps are minimal and both groups respect the border. I find it interesting that one male is so much more aggressive than the other. I thought 2 breeding groups would be ok for a 20 long without such barriers. Guess I got lucky! :cool:

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom