Do I need to buy more clown loaches?

Leemar

Reaction score
Hi, I have a community tank which is my first, its about 35 gallons.

In it I have a few tetras, guppies and a pair of platies and 2 baby angelfish. I have encountered a snail problem so I read up on natural remedies and the clown loach was one of them. I went out and bought one today but it seems to be very shy which baffled me as I read they're more sociable and the goofy type, hence the name.

Upon further research I found out that theyre more outgoing in a pack, so is him being the lone clown loach despite the variety of tank mates with him insuffiecient?

P.s he is also a baby, pretty small fella

Best Answer - View 86 ssinit's answer

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Minimum recommended shoal size is six.

Minimum recommended aquarium size for 6 or 7 adult Clown Loaches is 6’ (180cm) x 2’ (60cm) x 2’ (60cm) = 180 US gallons / 150 Imperial Gallons or 700 litres.

Anything above these numbers is better.

Ghelfaire

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Clown loaches can get up from 8"-12".
I would rehome him and get a smaller species of loach.

86 ssinit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yes they enjoy being in bigger groups. I have 2. I’ve had them for 6-7yrs. They started and spent their first 4 yrs in a 30g. Grew to about 4”. They are now in a 90 and are close to 6”. If you like the fish I would recommend getting another or 2. Down the line you will want a bigger tank. But they do grow slowly.
Thing is they sell thousands of these fish. Most end up in some kids 10g till it dies. Me I’d rather see it in your tank with a friend or 2 than back in the pet store. Mine are my favorite fish. First ones I look for every morn.

OP
L

Leemar

Reaction score
Redshark1 said:
Minimum recommended shoal size is six.

Minimum recommended aquarium size for 6 or 7 adult Clown Loaches is 6’ (180cm) x 2’ (60cm) x 2’ (60cm) = 180 US gallons / 150 Imperial Gallons or 700 litres.

Anything above these numbers is better.
Yeah the problem is I think i can do 2 more max... i dont know if that'll fix a problem or make it greater...

86 ssinit said:
Yes they enjoy being in bigger groups. I have 2. I’ve had them for 6-7yrs. They started and spent their first 4 yrs in a 30g. Grew to about 4”. They are now in a 90 and are close to 6”. If you like the fish I would recommend getting another or 2. Down the line you will want a bigger tank. But they do grow slowly.
Thing is they sell thousands of these fish. Most end up in some kids 10g till it dies. Me I’d rather see it in your tank with a friend or 2 than back in the pet store. Mine are my favorite fish. First ones I look for every morn.
Thanks for the reply, yea i think i can do only 2 more max with my tank size and fish that are already in there in mind. Maybe down the line i'll start earning my own money and be able to buy a bigger tank (approaching my last year of highschool) I really hope they grow super slow so that my abilities of tanking care of them grows with them and eventually i'd be totally independent with a monthly cheque i can spend on my hobby!

New Threads