Question Do I Need To Boil Cucumbers?

SpeedyFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I'm planning on adding cucumbers to my fishes diet, but I see some people boil their cucumbers and some don't. Is boiling cucumbers really necessary?

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If you are feeding it directly to them, then I would boil it to make it easier to eat, but if you were giving it to a pleco then that's optional since boiling seems to cause it to go bad faster.

Michael.j.gomez

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello, some people will boil them so they sink. I just stick a fork in a piece to hold down. If tank is deep or you don't want to stick hands in tank you can tie fishing line or some other aquarium safe string to end so you can pull from tank. Hope this helps!
20190326_173117.jpg

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
No you don't need to boil any vegetables for fish. I boil peas. And I blanch broccoli. Everything else goes in raw (raw vegetables don't get mushy as fast).

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I buy frozen bags of unseasoned zucchinI and put it in a cup and run hot water to thaw it and till it sinks then drop it right in the tank and remove any leftovers about a day later if there is any to avoid fouling up your water. I believe zucchinI has more nutrition than cucumbers. What type of fish are you feeding the veggies? Just curious.

Momgoose56

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
kallililly1973 said:
I buy frozen bags of unseasoned zucchinI and put it in a cup and run hot water to thaw it and till it sinks then drop it right in the tank and remove any leftovers about a day later if there is any to avoid fouling up your water. I believe zucchinI has more nutrition than cucumbers. What type of fish are you feeding the veggies? Just curious.
My fish prefer any type of squash (including pumpkin slices) over cucumbers, lettuces and some of the 'juicier' veggies. They also are partial to blanched broccolI and de-skinned, cooked peas.

OP
SpeedyFish

SpeedyFish

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
How long should I b
kallililly1973 said:
I have SaulosI Cichlids.

New Threads