Do I Need To Adjust My Water?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Water' started by jlm418, Aug 6, 2017.

1. j

jlm418 Valued Member Member

So my water tests at 5 gh 23kh. Ph is at like 8.2. Is this gunna be a problem for fish?

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Probably not, what sort of fish do you have?

3. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

If you stick with captive bred fish, it most likely won't be an issue. Many soft water fish that are captive bred can adapt to harder water. You may need to drip acclimate if the places you get your fish from have much softer water. I personally have 8.2 PH as well, and have to drip acclimate because most places I get fish from have lower ph. Really with PH you need it to be stable, and most can adapt, except for wild caught fish and sensitive fish like Discus.

4. OP
    OP
    j

Right now just some pygmy corys. But the fish I'm thinking of are guppys. A blue ram. Honey gourami. And some kind of little tetras or rasbora. Also will shrimp do ok in this?

5. clk89

clk89 Fishlore VIP Member

The only fish I'm unsure of is the blue ram, but rest I know will do fine. Your shrimp will actually really like how hard your water is, it's good for molting. :)

6. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Some shrimp would be ok but some (like crystal reds) prefer soft, acidic water

7. OP
    OP
    j

Would a different kind of dwarf cichlid work?

8. J

Jocelyn Adelman Fishlore VIP Member

So... the kH isn't specifically your hardness... it is the buffering capacity of the water... 23 is crazy!
    Gh is the hardness, and with a gH of 5 it's relatively soft.

Do you have a water softener on the house???? Depending on the "salts" used to remove the hardness, could explain the higher kH.

(My water is the opposite, out of tap kH is only 2-3, gH is 18.... my tap is super hard, but I need to buffer my kH more to maintain my ph.)

9. OP
    OP
    j

It's just how our town water is. I just moved from an apartment. I was hoping the water would he different but it isn't. I use to mix with 50% RO water then raise the gh with equilibrium but its such a pain I really don't wanna do that again.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice