Do I Need More Substrate?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by scoobydoozy, Apr 17, 2018.

1. scoobydoozy

scoobydoozy New Member Member

Please watch video to get an idea of my tank. (Yes It's a blog i'm doing every week as I begin my journey in the fish aquarium life.)

I have 25 pounds of Oregon Dune Sand and an additional 40 pounds of Eco-Complete. I'm wanting to make my entire tank planted, so I believe I don't have enough substrate.

I have a 65 gallon with 65 pounds of substrate. Im thinking of adding an additional 10 pounds of Eco-Complete would add a lot to the tank. Or am I just over thinking it? Maybe its enough?

How would I go about doing this to a established tank with over 30 fish in the tank? Could I just take cups of the substrate and slowly add it to the bottom of the tank?

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  2. Kyleena696

Kyleena696 Valued Member Member

I can't say whether or not you should add more, but it looks like you have a fair bit of substrate in there already.

I just had to add some sand into my betta tank. After washing it I would grab a fistful and position my hand where I want the sand, but over the water. As soon as I put my hand under the water the sand just floated down.

3. Velma

Velma Well Known Member Member

It may be enough, but the left side seems to have more than the right side. I would add maybe half an inch more, and make both sides a bit more even. I would just drain the tank a bit, get the substrate wet in a bucket (I do this because it sinks better & you won’t have pieces that want to float), and use a cup to pour it in.

4. FriarThomasIII

FriarThomasIII Well Known Member Member

I think it looks rather nice. I'd stick with what you have, but it is also personal preference on what you want. As long as there is space for your plants to take root, it should be fine.

5. d

danhutchins Valued Member Member

The substrate level looks good to me. I have only ever used about 1 1/2" of substrate. Just enough to completely cover roots and everything is great in my tank. I actually "think" the least amount the better because of possible anaerobic conditions. If the plants are doing good and staying planted you should be fine.

6. ColmC

ColmC Valued Member Member

What a great tank! Your substrate looks deeper than my 55 gallon.

7. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

That's plenty of substrate

8. OP
    OP
    scoobydoozy

scoobydoozy New Member Member

Thank you all for the response, what a great community!

Thank you for your response, I believe I'm going to take your advice and do that. Its definitely not even. I think at this stage there is enough substrate to support the plants, but I'd rather just future proof it.

Again thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 17, 2018
  9. penguin02

penguin02 Well Known Member Member

I do love the fishlore community a lot, and I hope you have a good stay with us! If only the salty side of the forum was more active :p

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice