Do I need more lighting for my plants

hdmstr

Hey Everyone

I have a 15 gallon tank that currently has 2 amazon swords (one is about 12 inches and the other 8 inches), an 11 inch ambulia and a Lilaeopsis still in its little pot. I've got them planted in 2-3mm aquarium gravel (can't remember the brand, it was a generic brand) and my lighting is an aquanano 40 LED 10W light.

Just wanted to know if I should add some extra lighting. They've been in the tank about a week and I've planted them in a way that they dont block light for each other.
Tank lighting.jpg

I'm also open to suggestions if I should add anything else.

Cheers guys

Frank the Fish guy

You have plenty of light and wattage. Looks great. We usually start adjusting the time the light is on for to find the sweet spot. So you can leave it on for 12 hours a day and see if the plants grow to your liking and not too much algae. Then you can adjust the time from there.

BTW if you get algae, some Nerite snails will keep your tank clean and spotless! Wonderful critters in a planted tank with strong lighting.

hdmstr

Hey Frank, just thought I'd ask you regarding the nerite snails. I was planning on getting some, would they need additional food if there isn't any algae. My tank is pretty new so might not have much algae, should I add a little extra fish food instead so they can eat that instead.
Thanks

Frank the Fish guy

You can get some sinking algae wafers, and break them up and sprinkle over the substrate. Your snails will find all the crumbs while waiting for your algae to start growing.

hdmstr

You can get some sinking algae wafers, and break them up and sprinkle over the substrate. Your snails will find all the crumbs while waiting for your algae to start growing.
Sweet yea I saw these at the store. Appreciate the help!

PBateman

Hard to find the right balance of light. I overdid it myself and got a lot of algaue build up, had to tone it back despite wanting my plants to grow like crazy

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
MacZ
Replies
Views
Fishnturtleguy933
Replies
Views
kallililly1973
  • Question