Do I need gloves?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Karl R, Apr 13, 2010.

1. Karl RValued MemberMember

Ok here's my question. I've seen on this site a wholelot of discussion about polluting water. Now I may be a newbie to this hobie, but imo I am very careful with my aquarium. I wash my hands and arms with antibacterial foaming soap and rinse very well before I fool around in my aquarium. Should I just buy a set of aquarium gloves? Does the risk to my fresh water planted aquariums health warrent such a purchase? Am I being overly cautious? Are my concerns about contaminating my aquarium warrented? Or am I not being overly cautious?. My aquariums contain gold pristella tetras neon tetras painted plattys zebra plattys peppered corydoras snails and varied lowlight plants. My amonia is 0 ppm my nitrite is 0 ppm my nitrate is between 0 and 3 ppm my ph is at 7.2. The reason I ask is because I am a general handy man. I make my living doing everything from masonry work to automotive repair. Some of the things I work with are very toxic to people let alone fish. I can and will buy the aquarium gloves if it is necessary. Just let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance for your replies.

2. Karl RValued MemberMember

Ps. My hand washing is two to three minuets under very hot water with a scrub brush and dial antibacterial foaming hand wash.

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

The only time I ever wash my hands and arms before I put them in the tank is if I've sprayed bug spray or sun tan lotion or anything like that. If I've just gone about my day, I don't worry about it. Oh, and always after doing laundry.

But it would be good to get a pair of gloves for those especially dirty days in your case.

4. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

If you're working with toxic materials, I'd say that the 15 dollar aquarium gloves aren't a bad investment then.

I, however, put a lot more emphasis on washing *after* putting my hands in the tank than before. :)

5. harpua2002Fishlore VIPMember

If I don't think I have contaminants on my hands, I just give em a good rinse before going into the tanks. If I have doubts, I wash with dish liquid and rinse really well. I haven't had any trouble this way in 7 years. That said, gloves are not a bad idea. It just comes down to what you want to do. :)

6. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

If I'm medicating my tanks I usually wear a pair of latex gloves and work around the water really gingerly (I'm allergic to a lot of medications) and don't go in the water further then my hands (gloves only go to wrist). However if my tanks are just normal day to day then I don't worry about it. I find enough of my hair in there now and again that I figure they're been exposed to whatever I've got :p

7. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

One time, my female GBR had one of my hairs stuck in her mouth. She took care of it on her own, but it was there for like 2 days .

8. MeenuFishlore VIPMember

9. Karl RValued MemberMember

Ok after reading the m.s.d.s. On some ofthe products and pesticides I use regurlerly along with your suggestions I feel I do need the gloves. Thank you all for your replies. I now have another question though. Why the emphasis on washing after you have had your hands in the aquarium? Is there something in there that can hurt me? If so then what? This is just my newbie curiousity now.

10. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

considering the aquarium is a place that is created to harbor fish, in doing so it also has the potential to harbor lots of other things, so washing up after working in the tank is never a bad thing.

11. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

I am just vaguely a germophobe and have no particular reason in mind for washing up afterward. It just seems *wrong* to me to mess around with decor or plants in a fish tank and then go and start dicing up carrots for a pot roast, you know? Doubly so if the fish have anything resembling a disease. Not that I'm *necessarily* afraid of catching it myself (but it would be terrible to be afflicted with ich!), but...ew.

12. Karl RValued MemberMember

It is not that I don't wash up before and after I am just curious, is there anything in there that could be spread to me?

13. Karl RValued MemberMember

I agree btw ich kinds seems to be to fish as chicken pox is to adult humans. Itchy gross looking and very itchy.

14. jetajockeyFishlore VIPMember

15. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Good morning,

If you have cuts or open wounds on your arms or hands then I suggest that you use gloves. I have a pair of these (and they were free a while back with any purchase but that has expired):

However, I haven't used them to date but I feel they are necessary to have just in case.

There are some fish diseases that can be transferred to humans:
    https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/DiseasesTransmittedToHumans.htm

I only rinse my hands, VERY well prior to going into my tanks. I do not use soap to wash my hands before I go into my tanks. I even delay my shower until after I've completed my tank maintenance. I just won't risk using soap and killing my fish.

If you don't want to use gloves then Tongs can be another option:

I have to use tongs from time to time since the tank is so large and there are areas that I can't reach.

Ken

16. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Don't worry, just sit in a room at 86F for 2 weeks and hoover the floor twice a week to catch any spores that fall off you.

17. midthoughtWell Known MemberMember

Simple but effective, but my first reaction is still: eww spores...

18. TigerfishyWell Known MemberMember

Haha, I see your point! It is one of these evocative words that just has the same universal reaction lol!!

19. Karl RValued MemberMember

oh wow. I read the info on the link jettajockey sent me! Some of that stuff is pretty serious!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice