Do I need gloves?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok here's my question. I've seen on this site a wholelot of discussion about polluting water. Now I may be a newbie to this hobie, but imo I am very careful with my aquarium. I wash my hands and arms with antibacterial foaming soap and rinse very well before I fool around in my aquarium. Should I just buy a set of aquarium gloves? Does the risk to my fresh water planted aquariums health warrent such a purchase? Am I being overly cautious? Are my concerns about contaminating my aquarium warrented? Or am I not being overly cautious?. My aquariums contain gold pristella tetras neon tetras painted plattys zebra plattys peppered corydoras snails and varied lowlight plants. My amonia is 0 ppm my nitrite is 0 ppm my nitrate is between 0 and 3 ppm my ph is at 7.2. The reason I ask is because I am a general handy man. I make my living doing everything from masonry work to automotive repair. Some of the things I work with are very toxic to people let alone fish. I can and will buy the aquarium gloves if it is necessary. Just let me know what you guys think. Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jaysee

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The only time I ever wash my hands and arms before I put them in the tank is if I've sprayed bug spray or sun tan lotion or anything like that. If I've just gone about my day, I don't worry about it. Oh, and always after doing laundry.

But it would be good to get a pair of gloves for those especially dirty days in your case.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
If you're working with toxic materials, I'd say that the 15 dollar aquarium gloves aren't a bad investment then.

I, however, put a lot more emphasis on washing *after* putting my hands in the tank than before.

harpua2002

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If I don't think I have contaminants on my hands, I just give em a good rinse before going into the tanks. If I have doubts, I wash with dish liquid and rinse really well. I haven't had any trouble this way in 7 years. That said, gloves are not a bad idea. It just comes down to what you want to do.

Red1313

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If I'm medicating my tanks I usually wear a pair of latex gloves and work around the water really gingerly (I'm allergic to a lot of medications) and don't go in the water further then my hands (gloves only go to wrist). However if my tanks are just normal day to day then I don't worry about it. I find enough of my hair in there now and again that I figure they're been exposed to whatever I've got

OP
K

Karl R

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok after reading the m.s.d.s. On some ofthe products and pesticides I use regurlerly along with your suggestions I feel I do need the gloves. Thank you all for your replies. I now have another question though. Why the emphasis on washing after you have had your hands in the aquarium? Is there something in there that can hurt me? If so then what? This is just my newbie curiousity now.

jetajockey

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
considering the aquarium is a place that is created to harbor fish, in doing so it also has the potential to harbor lots of other things, so washing up after working in the tank is never a bad thing.

midthought

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I am just vaguely a germophobe and have no particular reason in mind for washing up afterward. It just seems *wrong* to me to mess around with decor or plants in a fish tank and then go and start dicing up carrots for a pot roast, you know? Doubly so if the fish have anything resembling a disease. Not that I'm *necessarily* afraid of catching it myself (but it would be terrible to be afflicted with ich!), but...ew.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning,

If you have cuts or open wounds on your arms or hands then I suggest that you use gloves. I have a pair of these (and they were free a while back with any purchase but that has expired):

However, I haven't used them to date but I feel they are necessary to have just in case.

There are some fish diseases that can be transferred to humans:
https://www.fishlore.com/Articles/DiseasesTransmittedToHumans.htm

I only rinse my hands, VERY well prior to going into my tanks. I do not use soap to wash my hands before I go into my tanks. I even delay my shower until after I've completed my tank maintenance. I just won't risk using soap and killing my fish.

If you don't want to use gloves then Tongs can be another option:

I have to use tongs from time to time since the tank is so large and there are areas that I can't reach.

Ken

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom