Do I Need Filter Floss If I Have A Filter Pad And Coarse Sponge?

Dexter84

Hi! So I have been trying to learn a lot about filtration lately and noticed a big bag of filter floss in the store which I bought yesterday. I thought it was the same material as the pad but its apparently not hehe.

Anyway I put some at top of the filter before the coarse sponge after that I have a fine sponge and then a filter pad before the biological ceramic media boxes.

Is it to much ? and if not how often do I need to clean it or replace the floss?

Kathryn Crook

Hi! So I have been trying to learn a lot about filtration lately and noticed a big bag of filter floss in the store which I bought yesterday. I thought it was the same material as the pad but its apparently not hehe.

Anyway I put some at top of the filter before the coarse sponge after that I have a fine sponge and then a filter pad before the biological ceramic media boxes.

Is it to much ? and if not how often do I need to clean it or replace the floss?
I just started using filter floss above my sponge and below the bio balls. The nice thing about filter floss is its easy and cheap to throw away and catches the goop you normally might have to clean out of your sponge so, I find, it just makes doing filter maintenance faster and easier. Its worth it to me.

WTFish?

It’s totally fine with whatever material you want. Just squish in a bucket of tank water when needed, don’t replace until falling apart, and never replace everything at once.

Dexter84

I was being dumb and thought that the floss will steal all the good bacteria so my sponge and pad will suffer since my newest tank is still cycling.

Alright so I rather just clean it then change it every week then? The bag was really cheap like 4 dollars and probebly will cover several months if I change it so cash wise I don't mind. Got plenty of ceramic media aswell

Islandvic

Dexter84, you talking about using filter floss in the Eheim 4+ 250 canister that is in your signature?

Water should flow first through coarse-medium-fine mechanical filtration then through the bio-media last.

Filter floss can be thrown away and replaced.

VeiltailKing

You will notice your tank will be a lot clearer if you use it. I use 100% polyester quilt batting in my filters since it’s the same thing as filter floss.

Dexter84

Dexter84, you talking about using filter floss in the Eheim 4+ 250 canister that is in your signature?

Water should flow first through coarse-medium-fine mechanical filtration then through the bio-media last.

Filter floss can be thrown away and replaced.
Nono I forgot to update my info. That filter and tank is the storage. I'm talking about a Juwel bioflow 3.0 and yes I know first the floss then the coarse and pad and fine then the bio media

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
michaelsf90
Replies
Views
NBettas83
Replies
Views
Massalo85
Replies
Views