Do i need an airstone?

octopanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Hello everyone. So today i was thinking about how my filter is not creating much surface agitation and i was wondering if i needed an airstone to ensure that my fish don't become oxygen deprived. If i could get some knowledge on if i need one or not then it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for the help!!

20 gallon long

cory cats and platy fish

established

octopanda

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
no not all of my fish ae acting wierd. Only one of my platies, who slowly swims about two inches from the surface, but he also sometimes chases other platies and he eats food and checks out the cory cats and my snail. So that is nothing bad or should i get the airstone. BTW i do water changes every week and i do not overfeed. My ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates are all under 20ppm too, and i use a liquid test kit.

aHumanBeing

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
If you have a hood on the tank then I say yes you need a bubbler. There isn't as much surface area being exposed at all times so they need a bit more movement. My Goldfish tank doesn't but it's open air and has two canisters filters pointed at the surface so a bubbler doesn't seem necessary. If anything a bubbler won't hurt anything other than a little more noise in the room.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom