Do I Need An Air Pump

1. dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

And bubble curtains? Yes, no, not really, depends?

10g lightly planted with a Betta and a Tetra Whisper 2-10i internal filter

29g lightly-moderately planted community of undermined inhabitants as of right now with an Aqueon 75 hob filter.

2. thesoulpatch

thesoulpatch Well Known Member Member

You don't really need one, they add to the look but won't truly matter.

3. TwoHedWlf

TwoHedWlf Well Known Member Member

No, if you have a filter you should be able to use it for all the airation your tank needs.

Unless you like the looks of bubbles.

And don't mind the constant MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

4. BeanFish

BeanFish Well Known Member Member

If you have a decent sized filter you shouldnt need an airpump. I use airpumps in my natural aquariums where I have no filtration (I do in the form of plants, but not in the form of a water pump) because the plants consume oxygen at night (they always consume oxygen but at day they put out more than what they use) and the oxygen levels would get very low. The air pump provides the much needed surface agitation to keep good levels of oxygen.
    TwoHedWlf makes a very good point about the noise that an airpump makes. Im lucky because I found a brand of air pumps that isnt noisy at all, but I have one that drives me nuts. I can only have it outside, inside it is just too much noise.

5. sfsamm

sfsamm Well Known Member Member

Airpumps can be very useful in higher temperature aquariums, when medicating, when seasonally the temp increases in a lower temp tank or when you have an overstocked tank with minimal surface movement from the filter.

I have several Airpumps on hand and use them for sponge filtration mostly but also when any of the above conditions apply.

6. Susiefoo

Susiefoo Well Known Member Member

Beanfish do you mind sharing what the not-noisy air pump is please? :)

I heard they shouldn't be used in a planted tank as they bubble all the CO2 out of the water - is there any truth in that?

7. OP
    OP
    dansamy

dansamy Valued Member Member

CO2 does diffuse easily out of solution in water. It's a pain in the butt to keep water carbonated with my soda stream. Granted, it's great when you first make it, but it flattens quickly. I'm assuming that the same principle would apply, but more rapidly and readily, to an aquarium with a large open surface area of water to diffuse over.

8. r15u5

r15u5 Valued Member Member

I'm not a fan of the noise, but I do use air wall in my tall tank as it helps with flow and the fish like to play in it. That being said, I turn it off and on occasionally. And as sfsamm pointed out it is useful for treatment.

9. Unankoo

Unankoo New Member Member

Everyone's tank is different, depending on stock and set up a air pump could be beneficial but saying that I have never used one. A good filter plus a small powerhead for better water circulation is all I have needed. If your fish need more oxygen they will let you know, read up on how to recognise the signs.

Best wishes going forward.