Do I need aeration?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Emberdee, Mar 30, 2010.

1. Emberdee

Emberdee Valued Member Member

:;hi1 Hi! Right now I have a 60 gallon freshwater set up that is finished cycling. I have not gotten any fish yet, and before I do, I was wondering if aeration is necessary.

I have some live plants and am planning on getting more. I am thinking about getting pearl gouramis, cory cats, guppies, and some other type of schooling fish, maybe tetras or rasboras, or both. I know gouramis don't find aeration necessary. Would aeration be necessary or beneficial to my tank and the fish I'm planning on getting? Thanks!

2. p

philipbouchard-davies Valued Member Member

With plants aeration is a bad idea since it starves them of CO2, besides plants make oxygen anyways.

Phil :)

3. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

True areation wouldnt be the best for a planted tank. However, I would like to point out that depending on the number and size of your fish it might be best. If you get any form of goldfish they will need areation. If you get to many fish they might need it too. But dont forget all the CO2 in a tank will be used in photosynthesis and you will have O2 produced as a waste product which would be perfect for your tank with the fish you listed. Just make sure the plants get 6-8 hours of light each day and things will be fine. Best of Luck.

4. x

xxSTEPHENSxx Valued Member Member

I have a similar set up and I have a 8'' bubble curtain. Is it needed? I have some live plants.

5. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Okay. Thanks. I wasn't totally sure, because right now I don't have any aeration. I didn't think it would be necessary, but I want the best for the fish when I get them. I'm not planning on any goldfish so that isn't a problem. Thanks for all of your help! :)

6. Furallicah

Furallicah Well Known Member Member

Your welcome Emberdee.

7. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

I am planning on adding more plants to aquascape a bit more. Do you have any ideas of plants that are low light- All I have is a 40 watt bulb on my 60 gallon. I could get more wattage, which I probably will, but for now just low light plants. Thanks for any ideas.

8. harpua2002

harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

If you are keeping only low light plants, many are slow growers and won't care if you use aeration or not. It's when you get into medium and high light plants that it's going to matter.

9. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Oh, okay. So, I could get aeration, and it doesn't matter for low light plants? Would it be beneficial for the fish I'm planning on?

10. Nutter

Nutter Fishlore VIP Member

Your best to have aeration of some kind, wether that be from an air pump & stone or from surface disturbance cause by the filter. If you don't have any surface disturbance in a planted tank with no co2 you can run into a few problems. First the plants will use the available co2 rather quickly. It makes no difference that they are low light plants. Once they have used it up they will stop being able to photosynthisise & stop producing oxygen. Plants that arn't growing also leave the available nutrients for algae to use, so you could also end up with an algae problem.

The benefits of running an airstone far outweigh any disadvantages. For one it is providing oxygen for your fish & that is always a good thing. For two, as atmospheric oxygen dissolves into the water, it also dissolves in the co2 that is present in our atmosphere, keeping enough co2 present in the water for the plants to grow. It's also handy to have an airstone in the tank for hot weather to introduce more oxygen to the fish.

Bottom line, get the air pump & stone or at the least create some surface disturbance with the filter outlet.

11. OP
    OP
    Emberdee

Okay. Thanks :) My filter does create some disturbance, but I will get an air pump and stone next time I go to the LFS. Thanks for your help! I'm still rerally new at all of this.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice