Do I Need A Stronger Heater?

Okari

Heres my situation...

I've got a 20 gallon hex column tank with a betta. I'm using two of the same topfin heaters in it.

they are the 50w heaters that came with my tanks (kits) but a google search seems to indicate they are designed for 5-10 gallon tanks.

because of the location of my room to the sun, and the fact that one wall is basically a gigantic window, the temp in my room can wander this time of year from ~63F to ~75F, sometimes more (yay Texas weather). The heaters have been dialed in so that when the room is on the cold end, the water stays about 78.4F, but when it warms up sometimes the water can hit 80F.

Does this temperature swing in the water mean that the heaters aren't powerful enough to really properly control the water temperature, or am I not setting them properly?

Temperature testing is done with a digital thermometer, not one of the flimsy in tank ones that come in kits.

If I do need a better heater does anyone have a good recommendation for my tank, preferably one the betta won't burn himself on (at night he becomes obsessed with eating the tiny bubbles that occasionally stream from the heater when its on).

A201

It sounds like things are fine reference your temp swings. I have a 300w heater on my 120 g. And my temp. Swings are almost exactly like yours. Oklahoma usually stays pretty warm too. You might go for a better quality heater like a Ehiem-Jager 100w. They cost about $30.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • KajiyamaVK
  • Heater
Replies
Views
KajiyamaVK
  • Scrappygirl93
  • Heater
Replies
Views
BigManAquatics