Do I need a sponge filter or do I have enough bio filtration? Question

1. shrimp Member Member

My 30 gallon tank has two ryukin goldfish in it and I just installed a 75 gallon canister filter that moves 265 gallons per hour. I also have a large sponge filter in the tank since it is a barebottom tank. In one of the trays in the canister filter I have ehim substrate filter media that has a surface area of 450 m^2 and also plan on adding 50 16mm bio balls to the top tray. Is this enough surface area for a barebottom tank or should I keep the sponge filter for additional bio filtration. It takes up a lot of room lol

2. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Hey,

I'm currently running a large sponge filter and AquaClear 110 in my 55 gal. You probably have enough bio filtration with the canister, however IMO I think it's a good idea to have 2 filters just in case one dies on you. This just recently happened to me, where my AquaClear 70 died but luckily I had the back-up.

3. jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

It sounds like plenty of filtration to me.

4. Dolfan Fishlore VIP Member

I suggest keeping it. I think its always a good idea to have 2 different types of filters. In case one breaks, or you have to clean one thoroughly, the other is still ready to go and working great. I use an air pump run sponge filter as supplemental filtration in both of my tanks.

You stated yours is large and takes up space, what type of sponge filter do you have? I use the double sponge filters sold on ebay for around $6 (including shipping, great price) and they aren't too big. I like the extra benefit of some aeration of the tank to keep oxygen and CO2 levels goods.

5. shrimp Member Member

It's a 20 gallon sponge filter it's a big cylinder lol. Even if I got rid of it I'd still keep the air line going for extra aeration.