Do i need a RO unit for my new saltwater tank?

1. SonsOfGuppies Member Member

Im setting up a FO saltwater tank in august, and Im beginning my research.

Correct me if im wrong, but what i have learn so far is that for saltwater tank, the water must be virtually pure so the specific gravity measured is accurate, so the amount of marine salt added is correct.

And since tap water can contain impurities, a RO unit is needed to purify the water. I have also heard that if the tap water quality is good, you don't need one.

Problem is, im not sure how good the tap water quality should be.

Here is the annual report of the water quality in my area (I live in HK, and most of the water are supplied from Mainland China):
    http://www.wsd.gov.hk/filemanager/en/content_135/dongjiang_a-e.pdf

the Nitrates are 2.0ppm on average, quite low.... bt im not sure about other impurities.

2. Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Bumping this up for you

3. peregrine Member Member

Mind you I don't have a SW tank, want one, but from my research here is what I have found. RO Units really are almost required. It's more of the trace impurities and chemicals than anything. You can always get the Specific gravity in any water. But things like Fluoride, and copper may be harmful to fish ((not 100% sure on fluoride)). And you can control exactly how much trace minerals are in your water.

I don't know where the "good enough" line is and personally would opt for the RO unit just because. I have even debated about getting one for my FW which would mean I wouldn't have to worry about using chemicals for purifying my water for water changes.

4. DarthMolly Member Member

I personally do not use RO water beacuse my water is quite clean, but my reefing buddies do and I HIGHLY suggest for you to get one unless you want algae problems and the need to buy more chemicals and media to remove impurities. I suggest to you to definitely get one