Do I need a Protein Skimmer?

FishDiddy

After much debate about our space limitations we have decided to go with a bioCube 32 for our first saltwater tank. They make a protein skimmer that fits in the back of the tank, do I need this piece of equipment for this tank? It will have live rock and sand, 2 clown fish, maybe 2 other fish that would work with this set up (not all at once) and some invertebrates. I am also wondering about a small power head. Thanks in advance.

Azedenkae

No. Protein skimmers are optional for saltwater aquariums. They can help, but are not an absolute necessity.

ryanr

Hi, welcome to Fishlore.
I wouldn't say skimmers are 'optional', it depends on the setup IMHO.
For a reef I would deem a protein skimmer as essential, but for FO/FOWLR, not as much.

Protein skimmers will help remove nutrients before they become nitrates. If you choose not use a skimmer, it's ok, you may find you need to do more frequent water changes to maintain nitrate levels.

A power head is definitely a good idea. It'll help keep water flowing around the live rock.

For more info on SW equipment, check out the following: Starting A Saltwater Aquarium - Part 2 - Bringing Nature Home (researching Equipment) | Saltwater Aquarium Discussion Forum | 119039

FishDiddy

No. Protein skimmers are optional for saltwater aquariums. They can help, but are not an absolute necessity.
Thanks!
Hi, welcome to Fishlore.
I wouldn't say skimmers are 'optional', it depends on the setup IMHO.
For a reef I would deem a protein skimmer as essential, but for FO/FOWLR, not as much.

Protein skimmers will help remove nutrients before they become nitrates. If you choose not use a skimmer, it's ok, you may find you need to do more frequent water changes to maintain nitrate levels.

A power head is definitely a good idea. It'll help keep water flowing around the live rock.

For more info on SW equipment, check out the following: Starting A Saltwater Aquarium - Part 2 - Bringing Nature Home (researching Equipment) | Saltwater Aquarium Discussion Forum | 119039
Thanks for the warm welcome and the knowledge! I am loving it here and cannot wait to get ours going, maybe one day I will be able to contribute here instead of always asking. Thanks again.

PAcanis

For years in my reef tank the only filtration I used was a protein skimmer in conjunction with a LOT of live rock, good water flow and a deep sand bed with critters living in it.

But in my saltwater tank I only had a normal amount of live rock and used a HOB with no skimmer.

It really depends.

FishDiddy

For years in my reef tank the only filtration I used was a protein skimmer in conjunction with a LOT of live rock, good water flow and a deep sand bed with critters living in it.

But in my saltwater tank I only had a normal amount of live rock and used a HOB with no skimmer.

It really depends.
Thanks a bunch for sharing you experiences with me. I am eager to get started.

coralbandit

Old school says under 20g can go no skimmer with large regular water changes .
Over 20g you should incorporate a good skimmer in the set up .
In keeping inverts and simple corals the skimmer is really the most important part in many reefers opinion ..

FishDiddy

Old school says under 20g can go no skimmer with large regular water changes .
Over 20g you should incorporate a good skimmer in the set up .
In keeping inverts and simple corals the skimmer is really the most important part in many reefers opinion ..
ok, thanks. So much to learn.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Zach72202
Replies
Views
saltwater60
Replies
Views
Sanderguy777
Replies