do I need a protein skimmer for a swt Question

1. guppy man Member Member

I'm going to get my first swt and I need to decide if I need a potien skimmer.

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Not necessarily, but it helps with water quality.

3. ATP Well Known Member Member

What size of a tank?
    It would help a lot and make saltwater keeping a lot easier.

4. guppy man Member Member

5. carlos413 Member Member

Don’t have to get one but I strongly recommended. It will get rid of excess organics in your water Colum. It will simply help in keeping your water clean.:;rocker

6. pepetj Well Known Member Member

I started my custom built 20gal tall Nano Reef with a quite small, hard to adjust, Resun SK-05 protein skimmer. I upgraded to a Weipro skimmer rated for 75gals that I run with AquaClear50 powerhead as HOB in the sump tank. It works incredibly well. It's hard to imagine all the dark residues that this unit collects. I wanted a smaller unit but this was the smallest model for sale (second hand).

Be careful and look for reviews on available protein skimmer. I've seen some good brand models that are still for sale and were discontinued due to flaws in their design.

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

7. charzar-g Well Known Member Member

I never thought i'd get one, but it turns out i got one for a good price, and after seeing the that comes out of it, you'll think why did you ever have a tank without it?! :)