do i need a new filter Question

1. eventSecurity Member Member

hi all

i have a 60L tank with 3 neon tetra's, 1 dwarf gourami, 1 molly and 1 scissortail rasbora. all my other fish died:'( but these guys have been going for a few months, no problems.

my problem is that we have very hard water in our taps. i have tried to lower the Ph but it doesnt work. the fish seem to have adapted but the equipment hasnt.

in the early months, my water was always clear, but for the last couple of months the water has been quite cloudy or green. i do regular water changes but its the same after a day or two. the tank is not in direct sunlight, and i have stopped feeding them as much in case that was it but its the same

could the limescale in my water have broken the filter?
    its a Hagen Elite Stingray 15
    it has two sponges and two filter cartridges which i have changed (not at the same time but in stages)

if it would be worth changing the filter, what would you recommend?

or any other ideas?

thanks for any replies

2. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Your filter is underpowered for the size of your tank IMO. Rather than getting rid of it, you can just add another one if you want. I'd suggest an Aquaclear 30 if they are available in your area.

3. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I agree, you're filter is rated for up to 57 liters, and that's a LIBERAL rating. Because filtration is the most important aspect of your setup, you definitely don't want to come up short in that department. IMO and E, non-canister filters are only good for half of what they say they are. So, that filter can handle about 30 liters effectively.

4. eventSecurity Member Member

thats the one that came with tank, got it all in a set

i wouldnt be able to add another, lack of power sockets

If i were to get a new one powerful enough, what would anyone recommend?

also, whats the different between underwater and outside filters?
    one better than the other?

EDIT: saw the other reply, thanks lads

ill see what the lfs has in stock at the weekend, or if nothing good ill get one online maybe

what are the best ones?

i have read up on all sorts of heaters and air pumps, know a lot about them but am stumped when it comes to filters, there seems to be so many types

5. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

there are many types. if you get one that hangs on back, you want one with a flow rate of about 150 gallons per hour. (If it is a cansister, a 5x flow rate is recommended, I think).

I like the marineland penguin 150 with biowheel. I also know the aquaclears are very popular, but don't know much about them.

6. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

An AC30 would be excellent.

7. eventSecurity Member Member

what make is the AC30?

with regards an external filter, how does it hang on the tank?
    does it sit on the ground beside it?
    i have a hood on mine and cant see how it would hang on the outside so how does it connect up?

8. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

AC's are AquaClears, and the numbers designate sizes. There is a lip that hangs on the glass, so that 95% of the filter is hanging on the back (HOB) and all that's inside is the intake tube and the spillway.

Many hoods can be cut to fit different filtration options. If you could provide a picture of your setup, it would be easier to determine what needs to be done to fit one on your tank.

9. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

Aquaclear 30, the same one I suggested earlier. :)
    Some external filters, like the Aquaclear, hang on the back of the tank. Others are canister filters and sit on the floor behind the tank or inside your stand.

10. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

aquaclear 30 (I think Hagen makes them). It is formed so that it hangs on the back. Does your hood have cut-out areas for a filter?

11. eventSecurity Member Member

my tank came in a set, the Elite Style 60 Tropical Set

it has a completely closed cover except for two mall openings where electric cables come through from the tank (used for airlines and power lead for underwater filter etc)

217.jpg

thats the best pic i can find of it

anyone familiar with this tank?

12. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm not familiar with the tank, but you may be able to pull the hood off for a few minutes and use a Dremel or something to cut an opening in the back for a filter.

13. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

Agreed. It'll most likely require custom cutting of some kind.

14. eventSecurity Member Member

yeah looks like i would have to
    but i dont want to cut holes in the lid, in case i get it wrong or break it or something

i know it seems to be the best, but could anyone recommend a filter on the same level that is either underwater or can sit outside the tank completely, and not for a massive price either

15. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

The ones that sit outside are called canister filters. The fluval 105 has a flow rate of 330 liters per hour, which is perfect for a 60 liter tank. However, the canisters can get quite expensive.

16. eventSecurity Member Member

how ofter would you have to replace a canister?

17. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

Do you mean the whole canister, or the filter media?

My hope is that the canister will last a VERY long time, many many years... you know, since I just bought the fluval 305 for my tank.

If you use the carbon, that part has to be changed every 3-4 weeks. The other media (bio-max, any filter floss you put in, etc.) doesn't really need to be changed, I don't think. If it gets too dirty, you can give 1/3 of it a bit of a rinse in discarded tank water and put it back in. I think you really don't have to do much maintainence with a canister. If you aren't using carbon, you can probably just open it 3-4 times a year for a quck clean.

In case you aren't familiar, a canister is basically a tube/box-looking contraption. The top opens up, and inside are compartments. Each tray has some filter media in it (not all-in-one cartidges, just loose media). There are input and output tubes running from the canister to the tank. Water goes into the canister from the tank. Gets pushed through all the different media in the canister, then flows back into the tank after it's been processed.

18. eventSecurity Member Member

cool, i understand ye now

ill head to the LFS this week and see what they have in stock

thanks for all the help on this thread lads

19. Meenu Fishlore VIP Member

you're welcome. :) let us know what you decide on.

20. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member