Help Do I Need A Male Cherry Barb?

Joelaura

Reaction score
Hi,
I was told cherry barbs groups should have more females than males, and now one of the males has died so left with 2 females, should I get another male to balance it out? Also when researching the two supposed females that I have I think now could be males? Picture enclosed. So confused as I was told they were female.. sorry for vagueness but what would anyone recommend? Thank you
Snapchat-292194762.jpg

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Generally it does not make a difference if you have "too many females". It wont be an issue to have only females if that's what you wanted, what's important is to make sure you don't have more males than females, since they will harass the females way too much. The idea is to have at least two females per male, so some of the chasing and aggression will be spread out on several fish.
However, they are a schooling fish and should be kept in groups of at least 6 or better yet 8 - 10 individuals. This combined with the right amount of males and females will make a content little group.

Joelaura

Reaction score
Okay thank you for your reply! Very helpful! And is the barb in the picture a female like I was told do you think? as after research it said the males are redder on colour so now I'm thinking this could be a male?

Kiks

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I am no expert when it comes to sexing cherry barbs, but my guess is that the one on the picture is a male. Usually they are very hard to sex when they are young, but this one doesn't seem that young since it has gotten quite red. The males tend to have stronger colours and be red, while the females seem more faded and show a more brown-ish color.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom