Question Do I Need A License To Sell Fish On Personal Website

FishWithTim

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Sorry if I put this is the wrong area, feel free to move it. Basically, I know I could sell fish off here or craigslist without a license, but what about on a personal website? Reason I ask is because I am getting into breeding and what not. I live in the state of florida if that info is needed.

Barch

Reaction score
Merica baby, sell your fish freely, it's called capitalism. Unless you're trying to open a local fish store I'm pretty sure it doesn't matter.

Rylan

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
*Edited* I found this link in regard to your question:

Which led me here:
(See toward the bottom Resident Freshwater Fish Dealer's License section

Looks like the short answer is yes, but you can check the links or state gov websites to confirm and find out exactly what you need. That’s really the best place to look, IMO.

Not sure what you’re planning to use to build the site but Shopify or Wordpress.com ( not.org unless you know html and css code) might be a good place to start. Easy to set up.

OP
FishWithTim

FishWithTim

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Rylan said:
*Edited* I found this link in regard to your question:

Which led me here:
(See toward the bottom Resident Freshwater Fish Dealer's License section

Looks like the short answer is yes, but you can check the links or state gov websites to confirm and find out exactly what you need. That’s really the best place to look, IMO.

Not sure what you’re planning to use to build the site but Shopify or Wordpress.com ( not.org unless you know html and css code) might be a good place to start. Easy to set up.
Looked at that link but it said nothing about selling online or selling to LFS so I assume it would be ok?

wodesorel

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you're starting an actual business and selling things for profit, there are government regulations on commerce. Namely registering with the state because you have to collect sales tax on all goods sold, and probably some IRS stuff as well. There are people who get away with not doing all that, but it could end up in heavy fees and financial audits for breaking the law. It's not just about any potential permits for live animals, although some states regulate that, and permits might be needed to ship some things across state lines.

OP
FishWithTim

FishWithTim

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
wodesorel said:
If you're starting an actual business and selling things for profit, there are government regulations on commerce. Namely registering with the state because you have to collect sales tax on all goods sold, and probably some IRS stuff as well. There are people who get away with not doing all that, but it could end up in heavy fees and financial audits for breaking the law. It's not just about any potential permits for live animals, although some states regulate that, and permits might be needed to ship some things across state lines.
Not starting a buisness, was just thinking about it like every fishkeeper probably does.

Coradee

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Hi, I know the laws there are different, but over here if you’re breeding specifically to sell then you need a license whether you’re doing it as a business or not.
I would suggest you contact the relevant department to find out about the legalities, better to have the correct information before you start, good luck

Thunder_o_b

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
And let us not forget about the IRS. Profits are income and are taxable after a certain point. If you plan to make more than a few dollars I recommend you become a LLC.

OP
FishWithTim

FishWithTim

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Coradee said:
Hi, I know the laws there are different, but over here if you’re breeding specifically to sell then you need a license whether you’re doing it as a business or not.
I would suggest you contact the relevant department to find out about the legalities, better to have the correct information before you start, good luck
I'm not starting an online store it was just a thought of mine incase I do it in the future.

Kalyke

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
IRS allows a certain amount of earnings through "hobbies." If you are setting yourself up as a business, then you need to follow those rules. There are specific definitions for businesses. I think one is that you do the thing "regularly." For instance, people who may grow cabbages to sell at a farmers market, may not really qualify as a "business" if they only do so 5 times in the fall. Another thing you need is motivation, in other words, you set up this "business" to be a business. You also need to make a profit for a certain amount of quarters per year. You had a specific desire to set up a business. They would be able to trace the things you did in order to set up a business: got a tax ID, set up a website with a shopping cart (etc). A non-business would be someone on a facebook sale and trade site, growing out a few extra "things" and selling them, but not having any kind of a regular supply chain and other "business" things. Each state also has different rules. I know as far as plant and animals that import certificates are expensive. This is all stuff you have to research (which is why a business is a business).

I am an ex-failed business owner, so I don't know many things.

New Threads