Do I NEED a Heater?

RandomFishBoi

I having a 45 gallon with nothing in it except substrate. I plan on making it a South-American tank with angelfish as the centerpiece fish. For temperature, I want to have it at about 79°F. I was just gonna do this by making the room they are in 79°F, but I noticed that a lot of people are using heaters instead. Is it a bad idea to not use a heater?

AquaticQueen

Using a heater would be a good idea. If the temp of the room fluctuates too fast it could stress out the fish and possibly even kill some.

mimo91088

Plenty of people with fish rooms heat the room instead of the tanks. It's a pretty standard method. But like AquaticQueen said you need to ensure the temp stays stable in that room.

John58ford

Really the point I would look at would be the rooms design, and your climate. Your profile says Las Vegas, I think the average temperature in December is something like 40 degrees, with occasional drops into the 30s. If this tank is in a big room, heating that room to 80 degrees will take a ton of power. Most people keep their living areas in the mid-high 60's in that type of climate, the extra 15-20 degrees is significant. Conversely if this is in a fish room, well insulated and properly sized (small) the power requirements would be significantly reduced. Most folks using the room heat method have a well insulated room that is pretty much wall to wall tanks, or intended to be eventually. My fish room is in an open air room and viewed from the living/family room, it is cost prohibitive in my case to heat the whole space to 80, so I keep ~200 gallons of various sizes tanks heated with tank heaters, the power consumption is estimated to be 15-20 times less when the heat is required.

jake37

The temp doesn't need to stay that stable. It can flucate from 82 to 76 - as long as the fluctuation is gradual. It helps if the tank is larger since it takes longer for the water to change temp but unless your fishes are extremely delicate i don't think it would be an issue.
-
However, if your room daily goes from 82 to 62; that would be a different situation .... not to mention that 62 is a bit cool for most sa fishes.

RandomFishBoi

John58ford said:
Really the point I would look at would be the rooms design, and your climate. Your profile says Las Vegas, I think the average temperature in December is something like 40 degrees, with occasional drops into the 30s. If this tank is in a big room, heating that room to 80 degrees will take a ton of power. Most people keep their living areas in the mid-high 60's in that type of climate, the extra 15-20 degrees is significant. Conversely if this is in a fish room, well insulated and properly sized (small) the power requirements would be significantly reduced. Most folks using the room heat method have a well insulated room that is pretty much wall to wall tanks, or intended to be eventually. My fish room is in an open air room and viewed from the living/family room, it is cost prohibitive in my case to heat the whole space to 80, so I keep ~200 gallons of various sizes tanks heated with tank heaters, the power consumption is estimated to be 15-20 times less when the heat is required.
It's in a room on the 2nd story of my house that was probably designed to be a bedroom. The only area where air can come in and out without control is the crack under the door, which is probably about 1 centimetre.

ALonelyBetta

I mean it really does depend. I agree with everyone above that it helps the temperature stay stable for the most part. I use a heater in my tanks except for my 3 gallon betta tanks. Any heater I Tried raised the temperature way too high.( yes I followed the instructions, these were preset heaters made for the size of the aquarium, I also tried heaters that were too small, still heated up to much) The betta tanks are already a fairly stable 78-79 degrees. But I really do think it just depends in the situation you are in.

mimo91088

ALonelyBetta said:
I mean it really does depend. I agree with everyone above that it helps the temperature stay stable for the most part. I use a heater in my tanks except for my 3 gallon betta tanks. Any heater I Tried raised the temperature way too high.( yes I followed the instructions, these were preset heaters made for the size of the aquarium, I also tried heaters that were too small, still heated up to much) The betta tanks are already a fairly stable 78-79 degrees. But I really do think it just depends in the situation you are in.
Agreed. I live near Boston, our weather fluctuates wildly. But I also live in a new building that it well insulated. Whether it's 98 or 28 degrees outside my apartment stays right around 72.

jake37

I lived in boston; I don't think there are new buildings; just new old buildings.

mimo91088 said:
Agreed. I live near Boston, our weather fluctuates wildly. But I also live in a new building that it well insulated. Whether it's 98 or 28 degrees outside my apartment stays right around 72.

mimo91088

jake37 said:
I lived in boston; I don't think there are new buildings; just new old buildings.
Lol in the city for sure. I'm in the suburbs though. I just said "near Boston" because no one has ever heard of Mansfield.

jake37

Oh. Yea. An outsider.

mimo91088 said:
Lol in the city for sure. I'm in the suburbs though. I just said "near Boston" because no one has ever heard of Mansfield.

UnknownUser

I would say you should get a heater and set it to the appropriate temp and then heat the room as you want. The heater would never be used, as long as the room doesn’t fluctuate. The heater would be a backup just as a precaution in case something happens.

mimo91088

UnknownUser said:
I would say you should get a heater and set it to the appropriate temp and then heat the room as you want. The heater would never be used, as long as the room doesn’t fluctuate. The heater would be a backup just as a precaution in case something happens.
I do this with one of my tanks. Heater only kicks on when my girlfriend leaves the window open at night this time of year.

jake37

Ah yes - we should not forget the benefits of a girlfriend...

mimo91088 said:
I do this with one of my tanks. Heater only kicks on when my girlfriend leaves the window open at night this time of year.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom