Do I need a filter for my pond?

dadhe
Hi,

I have a submerged pond about 1600 litres capacity. There are assorted Oskars and Gouramis and a number of guppies that get eaten but still remain.

There are lotus plants planted in the pond and cover about 70% of the surface. Lot of grees algae grows on the walls. Ther are four sucker fish that clean the walls preiodically.

This is a settled pond. Last week level of Nitrates + Nitrites was les than 0.5mg/litre.

The fish sem to grow quite well and there have been no deaths.
My question is do I need to install a biological filter to control the Nitrates or will the plants take care of it naturally.
Will appreciate your suggestions.

Rajeev, Pune India

virusmk
It does not harm you to have some filtration there. As you mentioned your pond is covered with lotus plants and still some nitrites are there. Having 5ppm nitrates is a good result but having nitrites present in the pond that's not good sign. Nitrites are tocsik and could harm your fish on long term.

And as your fish grow you will feed bit more and more waste would be released into the water.

Aquarist
Good morning,

I would highly recommend some type of filtration for your pond. One reason being it will help prevent the water from becoming stagnant. Too, it will provide an oxygen source by creating surface water movement. Too, the filter media will house beneficial bacteria needed to help sustain the Nitrogen Cycle.

Here is a type of filter that I've used in the past for my 225g pond (not currently stocked or running). Great filter IMO:

Best wishes for your fish! If you have some photos of your pond to share that you have personally taken, we would love to see them.

Thanks!

Ken

dadhe
Thank you for the suggestions. I will have to build the filter myself. All the ones available in shops here are chinese models suitable for regular fish tanks and require a positive head. They are meant to be installed below the tank.
I will build a suitable pond filter using resources available on U tube and such.
Attaching some pictures..
Regards
Rajeev Pune India

Aquarist
Beautiful!

Thanks for sharing with us. You've done a wonderful job there!

Ken

dadhe
Hi,
Thank you for your suggestions.
One question. Will the plants not consume the Nitrates. I can not check for Nitrites separately. Having the lotus lilys and all the algae should be sufficient to consume the toxins. The walls of a pond are the perhaps the best laces where the bacteria can grow.
I was thinking of adding a UV light and some areation with help of a fountain.
Do I need to suck the waste from bottom? At the moment the plants love this fertiliser as they sem to grom very well in the full sun exposure pond.

Rivieraneo
dadhe said:
Hi,
Thank you for your suggestions.
One question. Will the plants not consume the Nitrates. I can not check for Nitrites separately. Having the lotus lilys and all the algae should be sufficient to consume the toxins. The walls of a pond are the perhaps the best laces where the bacteria can grow.
I was thinking of adding a UV light and some areation with help of a fountain.
Do I need to suck the waste from bottom? At the moment the plants love this fertiliser as they sem to grom very well in the full sun exposure pond.
dadhe, I recommended you add a water feature with filter to your pond to circulate and oxygenate your ponds water. As you mentioned, there are plenty of DYI ideas on the internet, one can be manufactured rather cheaply. Best of luck.

dadhe
Some more pictures.
I have bought the material to make a biological filter. Will be able to complete it in about a week. One more motivation for making the filter, my dog insists on drinking from the pond.

dadhe
The filter is ready and operational. Now to see if it helps achieve its purpose. Have used plastic utensile scrubbers for biological part and a fine mosquito netting folded a few times over for rougher mechanical filtration.

Latest threads

Top Bottom