Do I Need A Co2 System?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sylviepld, Apr 9, 2017.

1. sylviepld

sylviepld Valued Member Member

I am getting ready to set up a 75 gallon freshwater tank. I have a Marquis T5HO dual lamp setup. I plan on having a moderate amount of fairly easy live plants. I also can't avoid having the tank in a room with a lot of natural light and I am worried about algae growth. I keep reading that if you have high output lighting that you should use a CO2 system otherwise your plants may be less robust and even look 'gangly' and there is a much higher chance of having problems with algae.
    What I would like to know is if the CO2 system is necessary to avoid algae and if so how much does an automatic system cost. I am having trouble finding them on line and I'm not quite sure what I am looking for. It also seems that it is pretty high tech so it might be overwhelming for me to maintain. Sorry about the rambling...

2. C

Chloe676 New Member Member

What you said about the plants being less robust or looking gangly without a CO2 system, I think that only applies to certain plants. I was told on another forum from an experienced aquarist that you can absolutely have a thriving planted tank without a CO2 system, you've just got to choose the right plants or something

3. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

CO2 seems to not agree with some fish and inverts. I bought 12 bn plecos, 6 went into a CO2 tank and 6 went into a non CO2 tank. These were all from the same brood, in 6 months the 6 in the co2 tank were half the size of the other 6. I bought 50 nerite snails, 25 in each tank, the ones in the co2 all died with in 2 days. A good co2 system will cost you around $375. I find the lighting to be as important as co2, and you can grow a nice plant tank without co2 as long as you have a good plant light. You will get thicker plant growth with co2, but it's hard on your fish. If you live in Nor Cal, I have a co2 system, that part was never used I'll sell you for $225. there are 3 pictures, the first one is a co2 tank, the next 2 are non co2 tanks.

Attached Files:

4. OP
    OP
    sylviepld

sylviepld Valued Member Member

Thanks for the offer but I live in Canada!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice