Do I Need A Circulation Pump?

ikolbyi

My 55 gallon panted tank has been doing well for 4 months now but one of the plants has grown so quickly, it reached the water line therefore has disrupted the water flow. As a result it has created some 'soft spots' in the corners of the tank at the water line (see pic). Do I need to install a circulation pump or leave it as is because I have a large canister filter pumping with a higher output?

Filter Fluval 406 canister rated for 100 gallons
Tank size: 55 gallon semi-heavy planted

Fish: Ruby & Gold Barbs + Columbian Tetra. I read these fish don't like high water flow neither.

IMG_20170124_154314.jpg

JCricket

HI have you thought about putting your filter output in a corner of the tank to create a whirlpool type circulation pattern? I.e. pointed on an angle towards the front of the glass so it hits and is forced along the front of the tank and around the back to your intake? Just an idea, could get rid of your dead spots

ikolbyi

yes but that large plant to the right has completely consumed the width of the tank at the top and slows down the water movement. In addition, if the water flow is directed at it the plant is 'pushed' in that direction.

I purchased an Aqueon Circulation Pump 500 and after 15 minutes I removed it - created more harm than good. I installed it in all 4 corners including the middle of the tank aiming it up toward the surface. No matter the placement, the results were the same:
* Plants were being 'blown away'
* Fish ran (swam) for their life, hated the faster water flow, all fish avoided that area completely

I created an ad-hoc Video to see if other spot there is something I can do or simply leave it alone and hack that tall plant?

purslanegarden

Have you considered trimming the plant back? Use the cuttings to start new plants or else toss them if you don't want more. It's possible that particular plant is just very hardy for your conditions, and you'll always have to trim it back more often than the others.

ikolbyi

Every month I trim back the pants because they grow very fast.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Coradee
Replies
Views
Bearwithfish
Replies
Views
Craig_84
Replies
Views