Do I have too much?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mymooser

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So I've had my new Biorb 16l started for over two weeks now. It has the ceramic media and the rock decor that came with the Marine Convertion kit.
Today I bought 14-19lbs of live rock to add to the tank. I remember reading that it's roughly 1lb/gallon. But I undershot my weight purchase to account for the media that was already in the tank.

I got home, added my rock (which looks georgous BTW) and then I double checked the instructions that came with the Biorb and it says to only add roughly 6lbs!!!!!!!!!!!! of live rock.

OMG!??? Did I add too much?

Is that bad?!
Is it possible to add too much live rock to your tank?
I'm hoping that the answer will be NO, it's not bad to have this much live rock cause from how I understand it, the more baby critters living in your tank, the better?...

Am I right?

Please let me know or else I might have to call the reef store and ask if they can take some of it back.

OP
M

mymooser

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I already checked that link and didn't find anything to help me directly with my question. But thanks.

What I did was returned about 9lbs of the rock and kept the rest. I'm closly checking the water quality and doing my routine water changes. So far so good. I was only concerned with the circulation. But it seems okay.

Thanks!

lanlesnee

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
IMO as long as you have good open spaces for the fish to swim and you have good flow though your live rock, no dead spaces for debris to collect, than your good to go.

kloseo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
i agree, that you could have more than 6lb and it would be fine, if you are worried about water flow you could add a powerhead, many sw aquariums have almost the number of lb of live rock as they do gallons for ex 30g aquarium would have around 30lb live rock, not a hard fast rule, but a general guideline as this is where most of your biofiltration comes from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • Weekly

Votes: 57 64.8%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 12 13.6%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 17 19.3%

Top Bottom