Do I have too much filitration/flow?

DustinJayW

Hi everyone! I couldn’t resist snagging a sponge filter and pump for half off from my LFS as a Black Friday deal. I’m wondering if this is overkill for a 55 gallon now or not however lol.

x2 Aquaclear 70s
75 gal sponge filter w/ tetra whisper 60

Tank is cycling but primary inhabitants will be a tetra community (black neons, Colombians, flames and embers in particular). There certainly is a lot of surface action with the new sponge filter. I did set my aqua clears to a low flow control.

You must be registered to see images

You must be registered to see images

Thanks everyone! Just want to be certain my fish friends won’t be stressed out or blow away!

Bruinfishkeeper1

Your fish can probably handle it but I would personally add a sponge on the outflow of your filter to reduce flow from your Aquaclear

KianMan

you can never have an overfiltered tank ;)

DustinJayW

Your fish can probably handle it but I would personally add a sponge on the outflow of your filter to reduce flow from your Aquaclear
Makes sense, thanks for the suggestion!
you can never have an overfiltered tank ;)
Thanks for the reassurance lol! That was my hope when purchasing the sponge filter.

BradleyH2O

Tank looks nice. As long as the fish can swim freely and the plants aren’t being blown around then you should be good. I have an Aquaclear 110 on my 40 breeder which per the owners manual does 500 gal/per hour. I’m thinking about adding a sponge filter as well.

DustinJayW

Tank looks nice. As long as the fish can swim freely and the plants aren’t being blown around then you should be good. I have an Aquaclear 110 on my 40 breeder which per the owners manual does 500 gal/per hour. I’m thinking about adding a sponge filter as well.
Thanks for the response! 110 and 40 sounds like a nice combination. Thanks for the input.

KianMan

500 gallons per hour ?!?! That's insane!!!!:woot:

GlennO

Nice looking tank. Nothing wrong with over filtration but I do think that it would look even better without the sponge filter (or maybe hide it at the back).

DustinJayW

Nice looking tank. Nothing wrong with over filtration but I do think that it would look even better without the sponge filter (or maybe hide it at the back).
Thanks for the advise! Maybe I will try and re-aquascape and tuck it in somewhere.
Also, I just ordered two sponges from aquarium coop per your suggestion!

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Rookie23
Replies
Views
Jerome O'Neil
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views