Do I have too many fish?

  • Thread starter kaitlynsc
  • Start date
  • Thread starter
  • #1

kaitlynsc

New Member
Member
Messages
11
I have a 20 gal rectangular tank. I have two platys, two molly’s, 6 red rumming nose tetras, and a common pleco. Ever since I got the tetras my platys have been hiding. I also have a 53 gal tank with three comet goldfish, and a walkin goldfish and was wondering if that was too many as well.
 
  • #2

mrjohn

Well Known
Member
Messages
601
kaitlynsc said:
I have a 20 gal rectangular tank. I have two platys, two molly’s, 6 red rumming nose tetras, and a common pleco. Ever since I got the tetras my platys have been hiding. I also have a 53 gal tank with three comet goldfish, and a walkin goldfish and was wondering if that was too many as well.
I would say that your 20 gallon is overstocked. What do you have for filtration? It is always good to have a male to female ratio of 1:2 with Platys and Mollys unless they are all females. common Plecos get pretty large and it will outgrow your tank so its a good idea to start planning now. If you re-homed the Pleco, your stocking would be fine. Do you know what you have for Platys and mollys (male and/or female)?

If you did re-home the pleco you could add one more platy, one more molly, maybe 6 more rummynose, and then some nerite snails or Amano shrimp. Others will have more suggestions and opinions. I don't know much about Goldfish, so I will not touch that, but good luck!
 
  • #3

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,338
I never follow this so call 2 f 1m for live bearers and i would not run out and get more platy and mollies. Having said that a common pleco is going to out grow 20 gallon tank easily over time as they can grow over 2 feet long. I'd remove the pleco (imho a 20 is too small 'cept for maybe the smallest pleco (those that grow to 3 inches such as zebra, clown, ...). Without the pleco the 20 isn't over stocked though it wouldn't be under stocked either.

The 53 is a bit overstocked also.... As for the platy hiding - how long have you had the tetra and how active are they - also is this a 20 long or a 20 high (a 20 long is 30 inches long and a 20 high is 24 inches long); a picture of the tank might help - i wonder if the mollies are bulling the platies.
--
Also note that the tetra generally prefer warmer waters and you should keep the temp around 78; that is the high end for platy and mollies but the tetra are more sensitive (less adaptable).
 
  • #4

Fishcat

Well Known
Member
Messages
1,400
Not too many fish. Just not enough aquariums.
 
  • #5

Ryz

Active Member
Member
Messages
93
In terms of general consensus, the comets are gonna need a bigger tank eventually as they grow, because they are SUPPOSED to be pond fish, could get away with less for the wakin. With bomb filtration though you'd prolly be alright for a minute. I mean if you come back and they're foot long fish and their still in the 54G, some goldfish lover is gonna chew you out.
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #6

kaitlynsc

New Member
Member
Messages
11
jake37 said:
I never follow this so call 2 f 1m for live bearers and i would not run out and get more platy and mollies. Having said that a common pleco is going to out grow 20 gallon tank easily over time as they can grow over 2 feet long. I'd remove the pleco (imho a 20 is too small 'cept for maybe the smallest pleco (those that grow to 3 inches such as zebra, clown, ...). Without the pleco the 20 isn't over stocked though it wouldn't be under stocked either.

The 53 is a bit overstocked also.... As for the platy hiding - how long have you had the tetra and how active are they - also is this a 20 long or a 20 high (a 20 long is 30 inches long and a 20 high is 24 inches long); a picture of the tank might help - i wonder if the mollies are bulling the platies.
--
Also note that the tetra generally prefer warmer waters and you should keep the temp around 78; that is the high end for platy and mollies but the tetra are more sensitive (less adaptable).
I inserted photos of the fish and the tanks. two of my comets are only about an inch long. Also my pleco poops SO much and i’ve changed his food and it didn’t help. I have a 75 gal marine land filter for my goldfish tank. And for the 20 gal tank I have a 20 gal marineland filter and an under gravel filter. For the molly ratio, i did have two females and a male but one female died and that’s why i have been wondering if my tank is overpopulated. So one male and one female for the molly’s and one male and one female for the platys. One of my plaited gave birth to only one baby, so I have it in a jar with rocks and a plant from the platys aquarium and I changed the water more than once a week because it gets dirty fast. I’m not sure whether the baby is a male or female but it’s clear to me I need to give it to the pet store. My 20 gal tank temp is 78. The tetras are very active and i got them about a month ago.
 

Attachments

  • #7

jake37

Fishlore VIP
Member
Messages
4,338
A few comments: That pleco is going to eat everything it can find - it is a baby - as i noted in a few years it will be over a foot - if you hang on to him don't change his diet based on poop and don't under feed him.
-
You have a 20 high - i don't think you have too many fishes but as I noted you will need to dump that pleco when it gets larger or find a new home.

Btw your tank has very little hiding spots so if a fish is harassed or uncertain it has no place to go to feel comfortable. About the only hiding place is kind of the house though I'm not sure the platy would find it appealing. I'm used to heavily planted tanks but that is just my personal taste. There is no right and wrong here - just preference but my tank has a lot of hiding places for when fishes want to just get away from all the commotion. Btw most plants won't do well with gold fishes as they love to eat ...

Btw don't count my fishes - this is not how you have a reasonable stocking in a tank:
ym.jpg
 
  • Thread starter
  • Thread Starter
  • #8

kaitlynsc

New Member
Member
Messages
11
jake37 said:
A few comments: That pleco is going to eat everything it can find - it is a baby - as i noted in a few years it will be over a foot - if you hang on to him don't change his diet based on poop and don't under feed him.
-
You have a 20 high - i don't think you have too many fishes but as I noted you will need to dump that pleco when it gets larger or find a new home.

Btw your tank has very little hiding spots so if a fish is harassed or uncertain it has no place to go to feel comfortable. About the only hiding place is kind of the house though I'm not sure the platy would find it appealing. I'm used to heavily planted tanks but that is just my personal taste. There is no right and wrong here - just preference but my tank has a lot of hiding places for when fishes want to just get away from all the commotion. Btw most plants won't do well with gold fishes as they love to eat ...

Btw don't count my fishes - this is not how you have a reasonable stocking in a tank:
ym.jpg
Thank you :) I plan to redo as much as i can without messing with their cycle whenever I get paid actually. Your tank is beautiful.
 
Top Bottom