Do I have too many critters?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Slaanite, Jan 7, 2013.

1. SlaaniteNew MemberMember

Currently in my 29 gal tank I posses;
    1 Black Molly
    1 Silver Molly
    1 Red Swordtail
    1 Black Ghost Knifefish
    and 1 Black Molly fry
    I was wondering if that is too many for a 29 gal tank.
    If so/or not, where should I aim/set my cap?

2. AvaValued MemberMember

The mollies and swordtail should be fine...but I'm pretty sure the knife will outgrow your tank. I'm not sure about that specific knife - but I know clown knives get FEET long.

3. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Yes, the BGK will get much too large for the tank.

4. ghardinValued MemberMember

If you take out the knife fish, you will actually have a tank that is very much under stocked. Most of the fish you have are schooling fish that should be kept in groups of six. With a tank like a 29 gallon you could do 6-8 mollies, 6 sword tails, and throw in some guppies or platys. If you want you could also do some bottom feeding corries or ottos. Maybe a shrimp or two.

5. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

That's a whole lotta live bearers. They'll get inundated with fry.

6. ghardinValued MemberMember

not if you stick with one gender, that's what I do for guppies, and with my platys, i just let em go, I love the fry, But I only save one or two, the rest get eaten by my tetras and DG. You could do that, get some fish that would eat up all the fry before they got bigger.

7. AnthonyC4CWell Known MemberMember

Hey Slaanite, welcome to the forum... honestly from educating myself about the types of fish you want to keep and how they will work in tank sizes and their growth will be better than asking anyone... There are too many opinions so just keep in mind about what will make your fish live happy and healthy!

Your BGK would definitely not work in your tank size if you got it a LFS they should have told you that as well!

8. Quinn_Lamb98Well Known MemberMember

if you upgraded to a 55-75 gallon then the black ghost would work. other wise you should re-home him to someone with an appropriatly sized tank. if you want to have a school of live-bearers you should get some danios or something similar to eat thee access fry so you do not become over populated. other wiseyou should be perfectly fine.

9. CichlidnutFishlore VIPMember

BGK's are too big for 75's. They get longer than the tank is wide so it makes it hard for them to turn around, when fully grown. Also, a BGK will eat everything in that tank eventually.

10. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

55-75 is a good grow out tank, but not a long term home.

11. AvaValued MemberMember

Well said! :)

12. SlaaniteNew MemberMember

Yeah, I was a little apprehensive on getting the BGK but I absolutely love them and made the decision that I will have to end up getting a larger tank later on lol but hes only 2 maybe 3 in long currently.
    I also had a question on what would be the most sensible purchase with a bottom feeder? I was thinking an otto cat but input would be greatly appreciated :)
    There's only one female in the tank (the black molly).
    Oh, and as far as algae? What should i be looking for? I was malaysian Trumpet Snao

13. kellyiswickedValued MemberMember

I have yet to have problems with algae... there's always going to be some, but a lot of people (myself included) think that it gives the tank a more natural appearance. Unless the tank is constantly soaking in sun rays, you probably won't see too much of a problem, and some maintenance can keep it looking polished.

Ottos are adorable fish, but they do need to be in groups, at least six but I've heard preferably 8. Since they're so small, this is doable. However, I would wait a few months before getting them. People frequently have problems keeping them in tanks that are not well established. So the longer you wait, the better your chances. Obviously you could go ahead and get them now, but I would recommend waiting.

14. AvaValued MemberMember

A friend of mine had a clownknife in his 55 along with other small fish (based on a not so knowledgable employee's advice). Not long after that, all of the little fishies were gone, and the knife outgrew the tank...

15. SlaaniteNew MemberMember

Yeah, I was a little apprehensive on getting the BGK but I absolutely love them and made the decision that I will have to end up getting a larger tank later on lol but hes only 2 maybe 3 in long currently.
    I also had a question on what would be the most sensible purchase with a bottom feeder? I was thinking an otto cat but input would be greatly appreciated :)
    There's only one female in the tank (the black molly).
    Oh, and as far as algae? What should i be looking for? I was malaysian Trumpet snail with maybe an assassin snail? Or would it be too soon to introduce an assassin snail?

16. AvaValued MemberMember

I would hold off on getting any kind of algae eater. Some algae (especially if it's a new tank) will go away on it's own or is easily removed by simple tank maintenance. I would recommend doing a little research on them to make sure you are willing to support their needs first. Once the algae in the tank is gone - you are going to have to feed them like you would your other fish, which will mean more work for you in the long term, depending on which one you are looking at.

If it's snails you're hunting, I reccommend the snail experts over in the Lasses Group. If they don't have the answer, I'm sure they can find someone who does. Happy hunting! :)

17. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

If you want a snail for algae, nerites are the answer. Trumpet snails will only eat algae as a last resort, and assassins not at all. I would not worry about getting an assassin snail unless you get over run with MTS. But, as far as snails go - a nerite will handle the algae and the mts will handle the clean up.

18. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

Welcome to FishLore! :;toast

I'd agree on no otos. They often refuse to eat prepared foods and will only eat natural algae; if you don't have any, then they'll starve :( Have you considered cory cats? They're very active and it's fun to watch their adorable antics. You would want a group of at least six.

As for snails, assassin snails eat primarily other snails. If you don't have any currently (if you go to an LFS most have no problem supplying you with their pest snails) and don't wish to breed them in a separate tank (I have a tank with ramshorns and a tank with MTS), then you may want to consider something else. They do eat shrimp pellets and the like, but it isn't their natural diet.

Also, only one female doesn't mean no fry :p She'll pretty much be pregnant all the time. Also it's likely that the males will become rather aggressive. At one point (before I knew how to sex livebearers) I had one female platy and two males, and they constantly bickered over her. One of them ended up not making it. :( Even now, I have two males and three females (NOT the stocking I intended; I had one male and four females, but a female died and a fry that I THOUGHT was female, that I let live to replace the one that died, turned into a male...) in a 55 gallon, and the one male always chases the other one. (Sorry, that was all pretty rambly :p)

19. JayseeFishlore LegendMember

Not very INTJ of you ;)

20. kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I also may have just gotten up (probably also not very INTJ of me, but I was up late) ;) (In other news, I may have reconsidered my opinions of my level of INTJ-ness, but I'll send you a message about that later. ;))

I missed the algae part; if you want snails to get algae, then like Jaysee said, assassins are not for you - they're purely carnivores. But nerites are available in fun colors like red with black spots and yellow and black stripes, they eat algae very well, and can't reproduce in freshwater :) I have tons of them, I love them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice