Do I have to wait for the second filter to cycle if I divide my tank?

Hannah1064

I'm planning on dividing my 10 gallon tank. The filter already in there is cycled. I'm getting a solid divider (black with same holes, pic below). Do I have to wait for the second filter to cycle or no? I've been able to find answers for all my other questions except this one. This is going to be a for two male bettas. The tank is mostly planted, going to be all they way once I divide it, and I'll plant around the divider to help them not see each other. (Trust me I'd just get another tank, but I've completely run out of room)
AEEFF268-EF5D-4081-A09B-5858A8A436CB.jpeg

mattgirl

Hannah1064 said:
I'm planning on dividing my 10 gallon tank. The filter already in there is cycled. I'm getting a solid divider (black with same holes, pic below). Do I have to wait for the second filter to cycle or no? I've been able to find answers for all my other questions except this one. This is going to be a for two male bettas. The tank is mostly planted, going to be all they way once I divide it, and I'll plant around the divider to help them not see each other. (Trust me I'd just get another tank, but I've completely run out of room)
No, you don't have to wait for the second filter to cycle. If there is only one betta in the tank right now you might experience a slight spike in the ammonia level once you add the second betta but the bacteria should catch up with the higher bio-load quickly.

Hannah1064

mattgirl said:
No, you don't have to wait for the second filter to cycle. If there is only one betta in the tank right now you might experience a slight spike in the ammonia level once you add the second betta but the bacteria should catch up with the higher bio-load quickly.
Thank you!!

Top Bottom