Do I Have To Rinse Filter Media?

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I have heard that you have to rinse out decorations, but does the same go for filter media when I first set up the tank? If yes, Do I have to rinse it out in dechlorinated water or just regular tap water

Caleb12345

Well Known
Reaction score
sometimes the media and things like carbon can be dusty so it's good to rinse them.

If this is new media out of the box then tap water should be fine then just let it dry if you are adding to a cycled tank. Dechlorinated works as well. Don't use tap water if it came from another tank.

OP
Z

Z123Killer

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Caleb12345 said:
sometimes the media and things like carbon can be dusty so it's good to rinse them.

If this is new media out of the box then tap water should be fine then just let it dry if you are adding to a cycled tank. Dechlorinated works as well. Don't use tap water if it came from another tank.
Ok and what about the filter itself in a cycled tank, I have heard that I have to clean it too, but how?

Caleb12345

Well Known
Reaction score
Use a bucket of tank water during your water change or just regular dechlorinated tap water. Never use water with dechlorinating it first.

New Threads