Do I Have To Quarantine New Arrivals?

1. ajgravedigger13 Member Member

I'm looking to buy some fish online but I don't have a spare quarantine tank. Can I take them out of their bags and put them in a bucket for a few minutes to acclimate them to their new tank water or can I put them straight in? I'm just so used to getting petco fish. Their water is the same pH, hardness, and close temperature as mine
  2. omordn Member Member

I would acclimate them if they don't come from the same water source, etc.

3. Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

You would need to acclimate, if you trust the seller isn't sending you fish that might have a disease you can not do a quarantine, but only if you are able to insure the fish are healthy.
    I have a bad habit of just introducing fish straight and I lost about 12 kuhli loaches that way including the four new introduced ones - these were bought from a store and I should have quarantined because they weren't completely healthy. Most of the online sellers i have bought from have quite nice fish that are pretty healthy as far as them just being shipped.
  4. ajgravedigger13 Member Member

I am aware of that but do I need to spend the money to get a quarantine tank?

They have a guarantee. So I think I'm Ok in that regard I just don't want to spend a ton of money on a separate tank just to quarintine them. I can acclimate them in a bucket

5. Mcasella Fishlore VIP Member

You can set up a temporary sterilite 5 gallon container with a sponge filter and heater (as needed) to quarantine fish, it can be taken down easily and set up the same.
  6. omordn Member Member

No, you do not need to purchase a quarantine tank if you're simply introducing new fish. In my experience, advance fish keepers use a quarantine tank when they have a crazy setup and are being overly cautious with introductions (i.e. especially when you think/feel the fish are not healthy). Health of a fish plays a big role with quarantine tanks. This is why people go this route. If for any reason you are fighting a disease and you need to treat your fish, this is where the QT comes in handy which I'm sure you're aware of.

So, no... you do not need to purchase this tank if your fish are healthy. You can simply go the old school acclimate route.
  7. ajgravedigger13 Member Member

Thanks everybody :). I'm placing my order today

8. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

The reason most people QT their fish is because if they put a diseased fish in the main tank, then likely all of the fish will have it by the end of the week. Yes, one fish that is new can cause all of the fish to have a disease.
    Edit: And then you will have to fix the main tank which will be hard.
  9. ajgravedigger13 Member Member

I know that that's why I asked. This website guarantees healthy fish and 14 days so I think I'll be ok in that regard
  10. Sarah73 Fishlore VIP Member

Usually it takes 7-14 days for any fish to show any signs of something wrong. Yes they do guarantee your fish that you buy from them, but not your other fish if they happen to get sick themselves.

11. ajgravedigger13 Member Member

That's ok all I have are giant danios so far.
  12. DavidaCannan Initiate Member

I have had the same problem introducing fish from an untrustworthy seller.