Do I have to put him down?

1. Fish'd

Fish'd Valued Member Member

My little panda cory is suffering. He wobbles when he swims, he struggles when he comes up for oxygen (I turned the bubble bar up- it stopped without me knowing), and when he gets to close to the current he just blows around. He's so thin he can barely sit upright, and if I'm not mistaken, it seems as though his little face is sinking in.

Do I have to do it? I want to make the right decision. Do you think there's hope, and I should wait it out? I don't know what to do...

If I do have to do it, I don't have any clove oil or vodka, so what do I do there? Please help. ];

2. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry. As far as putting him down, only you can be the judge of that.
    Have you tried putting him in a q tank to see if he'll eat?
    If you decide the best thing to do is to put him down please use do it humanely with clove oil and vodka.
    Clove oil is available at pharmacy chains, just call around and ask.

3. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

I have no space for a quarantine tank, but I'm moving, so that will change soon. I also fear taking him away from his buddies, though he isolates himself anyway.

No one in my family drinks, and I can't go buy any because I'm 16... will the clove oil be fine by itself? If not, I might be able to figure something out. If I do, it would probably be beer instead of vodka. Would that work?

Thanks, by the way.

4. pepetj

pepetj Well Known Member Member

Fish'D have you seen one of those small in-tank breeder boxes?

You could go with a DIY version, just make some holes (smooth the edges so your fish isn't hurt) through a plastic container that is somewhat shallow and attach it to the tank somehow; that way your Panda baby would use a lot less energy to go to the surface to catch some air.

If possible keep the temp of the tank in the lower end, say 76F. Feed with spirulina based waffers or flakes.

Hope you don't have to do the other option but if you need to,ust know we understand your pain (it sucks to have to do this!).

Best of luck

Pepetj
    Santo Domingo

5. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

I have a breeder box, but I don't see the point in stressing him out. I don't really see how it would help, either, other than keeping him from getting blown around. He hides in a plant to avoid that, though. D:

My tank is at 82. I tried ice cubes in a baggy to get it to go down, but it's not helping. It's just so hot in my room and the air conditioner isn't doing much.

I turned off the hoodlight, since it heats up the water, and turned up the bubble bar so that there's more oxygen floating around.

Thanks for the suggestions.

6. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

My little Panda was missing for the past day and a half. It never occurred to me to open the top and look down, so I tried it. I stepped sideways and caught a glimpse of a white mass behind the loach hide-out rock...

His little body...

His eyes where that spooky, cloudy blue. His fins were shredded, and you know when dangerously thin women have their ribs stick out, and everything in the middle caved in? He was like that when I turned him over. I couldn't find his barbels, either. I think, starving, he curled up behind the little rock to die. D;

Why didn't he eat? The others are eating well. Was he just weak? Will my three pandas get lonely and die? I don't want to lose more, I've grown so attatched...

7. Elodea

Elodea Well Known Member Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, Fish'd. :console:

I don't think your three pandas will get lonely...

Its always really sad when you lose a fish. I just can't think of what else to say...

8. OP
    OP
    Fish'd

Thanks... it's like how people say, "I don't want a fish. It's boring." And then, you actually get one, and they're so entertaining and you grow to love them... but they get sick so easily. D;

I've just heard that Pandas won't survive without buddies. The others look healthy, but I don't know...

9. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

:( I'm so sorry.

10. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

I origonally had three Pandas but at one point one of them just disappeared. But the other two are doing fine and I've had them for almost two years now.