Do i have to keep my filter on 24/7

VRP

Reaction score
Im very new to this hobby and my parent really hate the noise of the filter. I was wondering whether i have to keep my filter on 24/7???????

Blueberrybetta

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Yes you need to leave it on 24/7, the filter is what holds the beneficial bacteria that eats away the toxic waste your fish produce. Having a filter helps clean the water going back into the tank .

What type of filter is it? Normally filters are quiet besides hearing the water flow. Your filter could be faulty, clogged or maybe something is stuck causing a noise.

Sputnik

Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Agree with Blueberrybetta, that filter is what keeps your beneficial bacteria alive. Without that, waste will accumulate in your tank and kill your fish quickly. The only time I turn off mt filter is when I do a water change, and I only even do that for motorized pumps- the sponge fters stay on no matter what!

GlennO

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Elkwatcher said:
Depending on your tank size, you could also get a quiet air pump and use sponge filters. They will support many sizes of tanks.
Is there such a thing as a quiet air pump?

OP
VRP

VRP

Reaction score
It's quiet in my opinion but my parents are very, very sensitive to even the tiniest noises.

goldface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, assuming it's only an issue when your parents are trying to sleep, it won't be the end of the world to turn it off every night. If you've done this before and the fish were fine, then I don't see a problem. Some variables might not make this conducive, however, like being severely overstocked, etc.

baph0meat

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
this is a shot in the dark, but what kind of filter is it? is it a hang-on back? like your parents, i’m very sensitive to even tiny noises, and i found that even though my HOB is objectively very quiet it still had a slight hum/vibration that bothered me. by gently touching/holding down the filter at several different points i found out it was the lid very very slightly rattling, and the intake tube vibrating against its little slot too. i put my bottle of water conditioner top on the lid to hold it down and wedged a bit of paper in between the tube and where it rests, and it made everything much quieter, pretty much silent. (my wife said she couldn’t tell the difference but to me it was obvious lol)

it’s awkward to photograph at a clear angle but here’s a pic of the paper wedged in. if the noise your parents dislike is from something vibrating/rattling and not just the motor or the water, finding a way to hold things down/hold things still might fix it!

B3E7D80D-B4B3-444B-91B0-35B5B4BCFC3C.jpeg

OP
VRP

VRP

Reaction score
my parents don’t sleep in the same house as the fish but if they get their way the filter would be off from 8am to 9pm, i have never kept fish before and im not sure if they would be ok.

Bettafish1

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
VRP said:
my parents don’t sleep in the same house as the fish but if they get their way the filter would be off from 8am to 9pm, i have never kept fish before and im not sure if they would be ok.
If they dont sleep in the same house, what's the problem?

Tankmandan

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Im going to make a speculation that you have a Hang on Back (HOB) filter and the noise is not necessary from the filter but from the water outflow pouring back into the tank. I personally feel that's the only noise loud enough to bug someone's parents so much. If this is the case fill your tank up more so that the water level is even with the filter outflow.

StarGirl15

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You can attach a sponge to the out take and make it quieter also.

OP
VRP

VRP

Reaction score
Bettafish1 said:
If they dont sleep in the same house, what's the problem?
They hate the sound during the day

Tankmandan said:
Again, what kind of filter do you have?
I have one that sticks to the side of my tank with suction cups

Sanderguy777

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
VRP said:
I have one that sticks to the side of my tank with suction cups
Can you post a photo?
Also, what fish do you have in the tank right now?

And no, you cant turn the filter off for that long. There are technically ways to set up filterless tanks, but they are for more advanced aquarists (just because you have to know more about what to look out for with the fish).
The filter is where your beneficial bacteria live and turning it off for that long might starve them of oxygen (the bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrites into nitrates are aerobic so they die without air after some time).

OP
VRP

VRP

Reaction score
Sanderguy777 said:
Can you post a photo?
Also, what fish do you have in the tank right now?

And no, you cant turn the filter off for that long. There are technically ways to set up filterless tanks, but they are for more advanced aquarists (just because you have to know more about what to look out for with the fish).
The filter is where your beneficial bacteria live and turning it off for that long might starve them of oxygen (the bacteria that break down ammonia and nitrites into nitrates are aerobic so they die without air after some time).
I don’t have any fish at the moment and i cant post a photo because my tank is currently dismantled.

mrsP

Reaction score
You can also make no filter setup. That would include tons of live plants and very light stocking levels though, and I would recommend a lot of reading and studying how it works before attempting it, otherwise it will lead to lots of problems.

Lindsay83

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
VRP said:
I don’t have any fish at the moment and i cant post a photo because my tank is currently dismantled.
Can you clarify this? What exactly do you mean, the tank is dismantled? To me, a dismantled tank means the whole tank is empty, with not even water in it, and everything is turned off. If that's what you mean, it sounds like your parents have won.

mrsP said:
You can also make no filter setup. That would include tons of live plants and very light stocking levels though, and I would recommend a lot of reading and studying how it works before attempting it, otherwise it will lead to lots of problems.
That's not recommended for a brand new beginner to the hobby, for reasons that have been mentioned already. If the HOB filter (assuming that's what it is) is noisy, an internal or external filter would be a better option IMHO.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom