Do I have to get more clown loaches?

blennylover2323

I have a 100 gallon tank at the moment with two active juvenile clown loaches, but have been told not to keep them.
people have said that 100 gallons is not enough for two clown loaches and that they need to be in group larger then 5. is this true? and if it is do you think I could get 2 or so more or clown loaches in my tank or will my tank be to small??

JuiceBox52

Yes they do need to be in groups of 5+. Not sure about how much room you have left though. Someone else will come along for that

Upvote 0

JamesVader

they should have a group of five and 100 gallons should be fine for them until they get to large ( they can get around 8 inches!) but they are slow growers so they should be able to keep them in there just fine

Upvote 0

qldmick

Yep I have 5, their real nice when they get big.

Upvote 0

blennylover2323

sounding really positive! thanks for the feedback.
just asking if I should get 2 or 3 more?
another concern is that my loaches are much bigger than the ones from the store so just wandering if the new ones will get bullied?

Upvote 0

qldmick

Slowly getting there.
You must be registered to see images

Upvote 0

JamesVader

I think you should get 2 or 3 more but I’m not sure if the smaller ones will get bullied. BUT if I had to guess I would say they would be fine with the size difference because (aquarium Co-op) had a big 800 gallon tank and they kept really big ones and small ones in the same tank

Upvote 0

Redshark1

Yes they are social fish and I believe they should really be kept in groups.

I have six (pics here Clown Loach Photos | 9405 | Clown Loach) but nowadays people with bigger budgets are keeping 20 - 30 fish together.

No bullying usually takes place even with major size differences, they just maintain a hierarchy (pecking order) with occasional squabbles to sort this out.

I believe that to attain the normal maximum female size of 12" you would need to keep them in a minimum size tank of 180 gallons ideally measuring 6' x 2' x 2'.

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
emmykenzie
Replies
Views
idkausernamesoyeah
Replies
Views
Redshark1