Do I Have To Get Bn Pleco Last?

1. MissCap

MissCap Valued Member Member

I am wanting a BN pleco, but I have heard he must go in the tank last due to being territorial. This is my current set up:

55 gallon

2 male platy
    3 male guppy
    1 male molly
    10 harlequin rasbora
    7 albino cory
    1 pearl gourami
    1 ghost shrimp

My plans are to get one more pearl gourami once this one matures enough to tell if it is male or female. I plan to get more ghost shrimp and another school of 6 fish. I cannot decide what ones to get!!!

Can I get. bN pleco now before I get the rest of my fish? Thanks!

2. BottomDweller

BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Nope. They are peaceful and won't bother your other fish even if you put him in first.

3. OP
    OP
    MissCap

Awesome! I hope my LFS has one this week. They have had ones that look yellow in the past and this is the one I want. I need to go look up it's name!

4. Demeter

Demeter Well Known Member Member

I have three BN pleocs, 2 adult males and one juvenile all in different tanks. I will say that my albino male is harmless and bothers no one, but my long finned male would always ram into the corydoras with him and chase them off the food. I ended up taking out the corydoras because he was stressing them out too much.

I say you should be fine adding the BN whenever so long as you make sure it's a juvenile rather than an adult. For the most part BN plecos are perfectly harmless, although males will often fight with each other over breeding caves and females.

5. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

I add a BN Pleco a few weeks ago and it hasn't been a problem, knock on wood, but he it keeps to themselves and the fish don't seem to mind him at all.

I too have a white/yellow BN pleco, I don't know what to name him but since he cleans the tank maybe Mr. Clean.?

6. OP
    OP
    MissCap

I do plan on getting a juvenile. Do you have driftwood in your tank. Do they NEED it? If so, how long can they last without it. I would have to order the driftwood. Can I immediately put the driftwood in the tank?

7. Demeter

I've kept the oldest pleco (3+ years old) w/o driftwood for the majority of his life. Then I got into planted tank, driftwood, tannin etc relatively recently so he now has driftwood in his tank, as do all the others.

So I guess they don't need driftwood to survive, but I will say that they love it and will certainly do better with it. Each of my plecos has their own piece and they are on it 90% of the time. They just really like their wood, so I would have at least one piece for the pleco.

8. OP
    OP
    MissCap

Ok thanks! I am planning on getting my BN pleco on Friday but have to order my driftwood. I just need a small piece as my tank is already set up. Then I have to prepare it. I sure hope it doesn't affect my already hard pH.

9. Demeter

Driftwood won't have a huge effect on pH, it actually tends to lower it by releasing the tannin, making the water a little bit more acidic. Keep in mind that lowering the pH with driftwood takes lots of wood so your pH should stay the same.

When you prep it just boil it for an hour or so then scrub off all the loose bits and plop it in the tank, that's what I do but sometimes I don't even bother with the boiling.

10. OP
    OP
    MissCap

Thanks!!! I am looking at some small driftwood on ebay from China. It doesn't say what kind of wood it is. Does it really matter? I am pretty cheap so I don't want to spend a lot on the driftwood.