Do I Have To Do This??

1. PLECO657 Member Member

I've read in quite a few places that when adding shell dwellers to your tank, put them all in at the same time so some don't get a territory setup before others can causing them to swim at the top excluded from the colony. But I've also heard to NEVER do that because it can cause a ammonia spike. What's the best way to go with this??

2. Fashooga Well Known Member Member

It depends on the size of the tank. I added 6 Columbia tetras to my tank but that was in a 85 gallon tank.

You can always introduce them in separate occasions. 6 at a certain time and the other 6 a couple hours later. I think turning off the lights and rearranging the landscape might help a little.

3. Over It Well Known Member Member

If your tank is cycled and you made sure the bio-filter can support the fish you want to have then I don't see why you can't add them all at the same time.
    If you didn't get a big enough bio-filter built up, you can start adding more ammonia and wait till the bio-filter gets bigger and then add them all.

I just added 7 Corydoras to my 29 gal. yesterday. Most are at least 2 in. No ammonia spikes here. If worst comes to worst you can just do extra water changes while the bio-filter catches up.

4. PLECO657 Member Member

Okay, I think I'll be fine adding my 8 Multis, they're only about an inch to an inch to a half at max size. My tanks a 55 so I think the size will dilute any ammonia caused if my media doesn't take care of it. I also have some prime on hand but last case scenario I'll do water changes daily until things get established.

5. Deaddawg Member Member

I bought my multies a couple at a time and they didn't like that at all. The funny thing about it is they came from the same batch and the same tank from the LFS. They are very territorial. I had to remove the multies and shells. I flattened the landscape and reintroduced them with no problems. The next time I added to the population they constantly attacked the new one to the point that they would lock mouths together. So once again I removed the multies and shells. I have 7 more coming from aquabid on wednesday. After quarantine im putting them all in one tank with no shells and no sand. I'm going to let them get to know each other then let them have their sand and shells.

6. MWR Initiate Member

Buy a large corner filter and fill it with Zeolite. Put it in the tank and add your Multies. The Zeolite will absorb excess ammonia while the filters aerobic bacteria catches up to the additional bio-load of the new fish. The Zeolite will be expended after six weeks and need recharging before being used for the next round of new fish!