Do I have room for more?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by bddueckman, Jul 14, 2015.

1. b

bddueckman New Member Member

Hi,

I have a 26 gallon bow front with one red tail shark and 7 serpae tetras. From what I've read my red tail shark might be a little too aggressive for the serpaes but they outnumber him and I don't want to get rid of the red tail shark. What I'm wondering is if you guys think there is room to add any more fish and if so, what would you recommend? I've got a fluval 306 for a filter so Im good that way. My tank seems to build up algae over time so I wouldn't mine something that could keep the tank clean. I've tried otto's but they were all dead within a month (this was before I had the red tail shark). And I've tried 3 mystery snails but again they all died within a couple months. I take water samples to the local fish store every couple months and they say everything looks okay. Thanks for any input you guys have.

-Barry

2. Dom90

Dom90 Fishlore VIP Member

Hello and welcome to Fishlore!

The red tail shark will grow to 6" or more and is hardly appropriate for your tank size. It needs at least 55 gallons. I would rehome it before thinking about stocking anymore fish.

3. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

Hi there! To be honest, your tank is overstocked with the Red-Tail Shark. A lot of people recommend having them in at least a 40 gallon and most people recommend a 55 gallon tank.

I hope a red-tail shark expert can chime in but that's my two cents.

4. OP
    OP
    b

Thanks guys, I have a buddy who said he could take the RTS if need be. So now my question is... if I gave away the red tail shark what would you recommend add to my tank?

5. Dom90

Well, the serpae tetras are one of the semi-aggressive of the characins (tetras) so I'd be very careful with what else you stocked. You'd probably want to stick with other semi-aggressive fish. I'd go with a dwarf gourami.
    Anders247, help me out plz :D

6. lbonini1

lbonini1 Well Known Member Member

I'm curious, what test kit does your LFS use? If it's strips I would just get a liquid kit such as the API Freshwater Master Test Kit and test it yourself. Much more convenient and much more accurate.

7. pritam

pritam Valued Member Member

first of all, i think your red tail shark become more aggressive as it grows (if its a fry now), even i have seen red tail shark chases green texas.
    and i think minimum tank size for a red tail shark is 55g to avoid any aggression.
    sorry...as my view you should stick to your current stock and look for a bigger tank in future.

dwarf gouramis are ok....you also think about black skirt or white skirt tetra.

8. OP
    OP
    b

I'll be looking for a larger tank next year probably around 60 gallons but I just don't have the room right now (I'll be looking for a larger house and thus a larger tank this spring). I'll see if I can give my red tail shark to my buddy until I get a larger tank. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I could add to my tank currently if the red tail shark was gone? If the tank only had 7 serpae tetras? I know they are semi aggressive so I would have to find something that could hold its own. Any suggestions are appreciated. And thanks for the input so far. Im still pretty new to this.

9. Dom90

Try this for semi-aggressive:

macropodus opercularis

Edit: I have two of them in my 75g

Last edited: Jul 15, 2015
  10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Yeah, red tails get way too big for this tank and will be aggressive, rehome it or upgrade to a 55.
    As for an algae eater, what type of algae is it?

11. Dom90

Otos are very sensitive to water conditions and only do well in established tanks.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

12. M

MtnTiger Well Known Member Member

It's not like you have to re-home your shark in the next 24 hrs but unless you don't plan on future larger tank purchases (and there are few among us that don't come down with MTS) you will need to eventually do it.

I have found dwarf gouramis and your Serpae tetras are excellent tank mates, IME.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice