Do I have room for another school?

1. vtfish Initiate Member

I have a new (1 month since I started adding fish) tank, fully cycled. Current inhabitants are: 6 diamond tetras; 7 harlequin rasboras; 1 julii cory.

I had bought 3 of the corys (all the store had) but 2 quickly died, along with 2 rasboras. I haven't been able to find replacement corys locally, and would prefer sterbais anyway (higher temp, as I understand it). So I am on the lookout for 6 sterbais (possibly will have to order online), and will also add either 1 dwarf gourami or a pair of honey gourami.

That would get me to:
    6 diamond tetras
    7 harlequin rasboras
    6 sterbai and 1 julii
    and 1-2 gouramis.

Do I have room for another school of something, and if so, what? Or should I just increase the size of existing schools, maybe another 2-3 harlequins, another diamond? I feel like I could use some color flash in this tank. maybe the gouramis will help.

Thanks

2. tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

I'd up the harlequin numbers unless your diamonds are being nippy then I'd up them instead. I'd say you have room to put more sterbai in. I'd go with 9 if you plan on keeping the julii (it really should be with a group of friends but I don't see a point in returning him if he's going to be in a tank by himself anyways). Or you could do a dwarf cichlid like a bolivian ram and stick with about 7 or 8 cories.

I would not do another school.

3. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I'd rehome the julii (likely false julii) because there's not much temp overlap with sterbai.

Agree, no other schools.