Do I have room for another school?

1. vtfish

vtfish Initiate Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I have a new (1 month since I started adding fish) tank, fully cycled. Current inhabitants are: 6 diamond tetras; 7 harlequin rasboras; 1 julii cory.

I had bought 3 of the corys (all the store had) but 2 quickly died, along with 2 rasboras. I haven't been able to find replacement corys locally, and would prefer sterbais anyway (higher temp, as I understand it). So I am on the lookout for 6 sterbais (possibly will have to order online), and will also add either 1 dwarf gourami or a pair of honey gourami.

That would get me to:
    6 diamond tetras
    7 harlequin rasboras
    6 sterbai and 1 julii
    and 1-2 gouramis.

Do I have room for another school of something, and if so, what? Or should I just increase the size of existing schools, maybe another 2-3 harlequins, another diamond? I feel like I could use some color flash in this tank. maybe the gouramis will help.

Thanks

2. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Ratings:
    +3,798
    I'd up the harlequin numbers unless your diamonds are being nippy then I'd up them instead. I'd say you have room to put more sterbai in. I'd go with 9 if you plan on keeping the julii (it really should be with a group of friends but I don't see a point in returning him if he's going to be in a tank by himself anyways). Or you could do a dwarf cichlid like a bolivian ram and stick with about 7 or 8 cories.

I would not do another school.

3. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

Ratings:
    +8,577
    I'd rehome the julii (likely false julii) because there's not much temp overlap with sterbai.

Agree, no other schools.