Do I have enough light? Question

1. Linda4088 Well Known Member Member

I have a 40 gallon tall planted tank. The low-tech. I only have two lights one is 15 W T8 light output 590 lumens, color rendering index 92 color temperature 5000 K, natural light bulb. The other is 15 W T8 light output 410 lumens, plant and aquarium bulb. That is all the information that is printed. Should I get two more lights and if so should I get the same two different bulbs or is one better than the other? Thanks so much you guys are great

2. WiFi Well Known Member Member

Well I'd really say it depends on the type of plants your trying to grow, Low light plants would probably do ok under that light its hard to say. Anything else I'd get some more powerful lighting, low light plants require usually about 2w to 2.5w per gallon as a rule of thumb.

3. Phishphin Well Known Member Member

PAR is generally a better measure of how well a light will provide plants with necessary light requirements than lumens or wattage. Unfortunately, many lights do not publish their PAR ratings. Generally, PAR is dramatically reduced for ground cover plants in tall tanks. If you do purchase another light, you may consider T5 or LED that is specifically rated for freshwater plant growth. Not all LEDs are created equal. Good luck with your quest for lighting. Even the most advanced aquarist sometimes have difficulty with this area. :)

4. jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I agree, if you decide that you need more lighting then go with T5ho or high powered LEDs. Adding more t8 bulbs/fixtures isn't going to help all that much.