Do I Have A Solid Plan?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by CatfishGuy, Jun 19, 2018.

1. CatfishGuy

CatfishGuy Well Known Member Member

Im thinking of setting up a betta tank and I want to do it right. I'll cut right to the chase.

Here's everything I'm planning on buying with the price:
    Aqueon 10 gallon kit - $30
    Betta fish - $5 to $40
    Driftwood - $5
    Plants ~ $40
    Substrate (black sand) - $10

Please let me know if I missed anything! I also have a few questions.

Can I put any cory cats in or no?

What type of betta should i get? (Ive been thinking of plakat)

I'm going to buy the betta online, what's the best website/seller that ships to the US?

2. maggie thecat

maggie thecat Well Known Member Member

No to the cory. They need the space of a 20 gallon, even the dwarf types.

Nerite snails or shrimp you don't mind if they are eaten generally are okay.

My betta like those floating hollow logs to lounge in.

You need an adjustable heater and a thermometer. Don't go cheap. Heaters can be tank saviours or killers.

3. IHaveADogToo

IHaveADogToo Well Known Member Member

You're going to cycle that tank, right?

Agreed, don't get corys for that tank. Yes, they often do fine with bettas, in my experience. But its not the compatibility between the fish, it's the space. 10 gallons is not enough room for the corys to shoal.

4. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

There are some fun other fish you can put in with a Betta, but first make sure that he's settled in and comfortable.

Once that's the case you can look at a dither fish like Microrasboras and/or snails.

*** Just remember when you add anything to the tank just remember to pull the Betta OUT, move some stuff around, let the new fish settle and then put the betta back.

5. Rtessy

Rtessy Fishlore VIP Member

Swap out some of the plant money for the API freshwater master test kit and I'd say you're good.

6. Zentuckyfriedchicken

Zentuckyfriedchicken Well Known Member Member

If you have any thrift shops near check there! I scored a 5.5 gallon with light and filter for 7 bucks!

7. OP
    OP
    CatfishGuy

CatfishGuy Well Known Member Member

Of course I'm gonna cycle the tank, I can instant cycle it with some filter media in one of my other filters

8. S

Small Tanks Valued Member Member

Yup, and feed sparingly (or not at all) for the first couple days. With a small tank and just a Betta you should be good.

9. Lollipop0912

Lollipop0912 Valued Member Member

Nice job doing your reaserch. Most bettas die needless deaths because owners don’t do reaserch. I’d deffinately try some shrimp and make sure to add a water test kit.

10. 8

83jase Valued Member Member

Get a thermostat for fail safe on your adjustable heater ( go adjustable not preset) seen many and had few over heat and with yours being in a such a small tank will Heat up fast of it fails. Big fan of running external thermostat cheap reassurance esp for larger tanks that are stocked more benefit greatly from it i will not use and heat source without one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice