Question Do I Have A Pair? Also what size do they spawn at?

upgrade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Iv been looking for a EBJD pair with no luck then today someone said that these 2 were a pair (i dont know how to sex these fish) These were cool looking so i settled for them.

Picture was the best i can get, as they kept hiding.

Questions:
1. Do i have a pair? if not what do i have 2 males/females?
2. What is the "*AVERAGE*" size they spawn at? 6 inch long ext.

The one fish is bigger than the other so i labeled them in the picture.

Thanks

Attachments

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
to me, they both look like males
and average size can depend on the fish...mine started spawning about 5 inches for the fem and 7 for my male....but I know BB's started much smaller..good luck!

sexing: males will have more black/grey on the gill plates and bellies but have more colorful boddies...the fems will have a ton of blue/green spekles all over their gill plates and their bodies will lack the color

upgrade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
thanks, i thought they were both males, they are about 6 inches for small 7 inch for big.

Is it true females are really rare?

bolivianbaby

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I'm going to say two males, too. Beautiful JD's, btw.

Mine have been spawning since 3-4", but the fry don't make it. Ma & Pa's age may have something to do with the high mortality rate.

There are plenty of fem JD's around me, too. It seems to be an even mix down here in GA.

upgrade

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm going to say two males, too. Beautiful JD's, btw.

Mine have been spawning since 3-4", but the fry don't make it. Ma & Pa's age may have something to do with the high mortality rate.

There are plenty of fem JD's around me, too. It seems to be an even mix down here in GA.
Thanks, it just seems everywhere i look all i see is males, i can understand people dont want to sell their females because they need them to breed.

thanks again

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thanks, it just seems everywhere i look all i see is males, i can understand people dont want to sell their females because they need them to breed.

thanks again

I would say 2 males also.

I don't think it is the case where people are saving their females with jack dempseys, they are just too common and cheap for people to start hoarding mature females. I would say you are just having bad luck finding a mature sized female. Oh and don't worry once you find one or stop looking.... you will begin to see them everywhere.

Brian

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom