Question Do I have a male or a female?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Disc10

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yesterday I got a dwarf gourami female to help spread out the attention the current male was giving to the other female. Now this seems to have worked a treat, The male is generally leaving them and the other fish alone but with the occasional chase (which never lasts very long anyway), and the females seem happy.

Except I've got a nasty suspicion that the new female is a male.

I say this because whilst he/she is coloured silver like the females I think the general shape of the fish and the dorsal fin indicate that they're a male. I'm just not sure. Either way I want to nip this one in the bud as quickly as possible so nothing bad happens. I can't support two males in a tank that size, I'm sure they'll start fighting eventually.

I'm sorry the photo isn't very good, it was the best I could take without stressing out the fish too much.

39.jpg

All help is appreciated.

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, I wish you could have tried to get a better picture. Not sure how it stresses fish out, unless you're using a bright light, or a SUUUUPER bright flash that could hurt them. But you might want to try and get a better picture.
But from what I see, or what I can make out, that fish looks female. Females have the back of their dorsal fin rounded, while males have a point. Also, not sure about the size or color, but if you think the color or shape match female, then you most likely have a female.

Hope this helps!

Shawnie

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Yesterday I got a dwarf gourami female to help spread out the attention the current male was giving to the other female. Now this seems to have worked a treat, The male is generally leaving them and the other fish alone but with the occasional chase (which never lasts very long anyway), and the females seem happy.

Except I've got a nasty suspicion that the new female is a male.

I say this because whilst he/she is coloured silver like the females I think the general shape of the fish and the dorsal fin indicate that they're a male. I'm just not sure. Either way I want to nip this one in the bud as quickly as possible so nothing bad happens. I can't support two males in a tank that size, I'm sure they'll start fighting eventually.

I'm sorry the photo isn't very good, it was the best I could take without stressing out the fish too much.

39.jpg

All help is appreciated.
if you could get a better pic, that might help...but in a 15g tank, 3 dg's will not make it no matter what sex they are they are too aggressive with each other to have space of their own...1-2 of them could be injured or even killed with such a small space....and with all the other fish you have, I dont think its going to be a happy tank ...Im sorry

ryanr

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
DGs are sexually dichromatic, meaning the two sexes have different colouring.

Unless your DG has colouring, then I would definitely say you have a female.

The males are the bright one's, whilst the females are more bland and silvery.

Here's a great photo taken from

60.jpg

[edit: I also can testify to the aggressiveness. Having experienced DG's in a 15G, you need to be prepared for some nastiness eventually]

OP
Disc10

Disc10

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thanks for the help guys, I'm fairly sure I have a female now. As for the issue of getting a better picture I've only got a mobile camera to use so unfortunately the only way I was gonna get a clear picture was if I pinned the poor fish down, heh heh.

As for your points on the aggression, yea I'm starting to think this too. Things seem to be okay for now but if they get worse and stay that way I'll have to really think about re-homing them. Let's hope things stay well though.

yallyall1

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Female from first look! Too easy!

as for aggression, watch out for one hiding and the others pursuing, then take out the aggressive ones and heal the other one up.

as for where to put them, thats difficult! if you are lucky the LFS might take them back, or more tanks, not easy!

But we live and learn!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Water Change Frequency?

• Daily

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Weekly

Votes: 63 65.6%
  • Every Two Weeks

Votes: 13 13.5%
  • Monthly

Votes: 1 1.0%
  • As Needed (from test kit results or based on knowing your tank)

Votes: 18 18.8%

Top Bottom