Do I have a German Blue Rams or Bolivian Rams? ?

Discussion in 'Fish, Snail, Worm And Pest ID Help' started by tinks8400, Jul 28, 2015.

1. t

tinks8400 New Member Member

Pls help my other half was sold a "pair" of Bolivian Rams, but the more research I do the more I suspect we have been sold German blue Rams. The pair started off great but a few months down the line we are left with one. The larger one bullied the smaller one so much he died last week. I wanted to get another mate/s but I'm unsure of the what we actually have??
    Here are some pictures
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Granamyr

Granamyr Valued Member Member

You have a german blue ram, I can't tell for sure because I can't see the breeding vent but it appears to be a male to me

3. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks, I have tried looking for the vent but can't see for sure. I have read that males do not have blue shine over the black spot? which he doesn't seem to have, is this correct?

4. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

It is a male by overall appearance. The "spangles on the black spot" method of sexing them is not always accurate, as there are populations that are the opposite of what you normally hear.

5. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks for the information, I didn't realise that could be the case

6. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to fishlore!
    Yes, it's a german blue ram. Mikrogeophagus ramirezi.

7. hampalong

hampalong Well Known Member Member

I would guess a well fed female, going by body shape, the two equal length dorsal spines, and the general "expression" which is usually doable (with many years of familiarity). A side-on pic would be easier...

:)

Black spots and spangles are all secondary characteristics, and can't be relied on because everything you've read about them can apply to either sex.

8. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks for the info, I will try later to get a side picture,

9. OP
    OP
    t

Here is some side picture hope this helps
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

10. Gvilleguy

Gvilleguy Valued Member Member

Beautiful rams. Congrats!

11. chromedome52

chromedome52 Fishlore VIP Member

I'm still seeing male; the long ventrals, the shape of the abdomen, and the overall appearance of the fish screams male at me.

12. OP
    OP
    t

Thanks for the info, I suspected male but want some others opinions so I could be 100%

13. DanB80TTS

DanB80TTS Well Known Member Member

I'm 94% sure that's a male, maybe it has some balloon genes in it? That might explain the more rounded body, but other than the roundish body everything else points to male.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice