Do I follow the instructions on the Prime bottle or use more?

Darlene
If I'm using prime as the water conditioner do I follow the instructions on the bottle, or do I need to use more? Thanks

capekate
I would follow the instructions on the bottle. Depending on the tank conditions, the amount used varies with each situation. But just as a water conditioner w/ wc's, you would follow the 1 mL for each 10gallon's of water. And your cap/lid has its own measure there for you, the threads inside the cap are an easy measure for each ml and I go by that when using Prime with my water changes.
If you had a high nitrate or chorlamine, ammonia you can use up to 5x's in an emergency situation til you can get those water changes done.
I like Prime and use it with all my water changes.. ;D

Darlene
I would follow the instructions on the bottle. Depending on the tank conditions, the amount used varies with each situation. But just as a water conditioner w/ wc's, you would follow the 1 mL for each 10gallon's of water. And your cap/lid has its own measure there for you, the threads inside the cap are an easy measure for each ml and I go by that when using Prime with my water changes.
If you had a high nitrate or chorlamine, ammonia you can use up to 5x's in an emergency situation til you can get those water changes done.
I like Prime and use it with all my water changes.. ;D

Thanks we do have ammonia of 1ppm in our 20 gal and .25 in the 5 gal, and nitrite at 1ppm in both so I'm doing water changes every morning in them to try to get the numbers back to where they need to be.

capekate
Thanks we do have ammonia of 1ppm in our 20 gal and .25 in the 5 gal, and nitrite at 1ppm in both so I'm doing water changes every morning in them to try to get the numbers back to where they need to be.

Those readings show your tanks are not cycled yet, and can be a cause of any fish deaths you may encounter. Its a good thing you are doing those daily water changes, as that is exactly what would be recommended.
Good luck with your tanks and keep us posted!

COBettaCouple
I stick pretty close to the directions on the bottle. It works out to about a drop or 2 per gallon.

Darlene
I just tested our water from our tap and we have 1ppm of ammonia in the water straight from the tap. So will I always have an ammonia reading in our tanks even with using the prime? If I will then do I still need to do daily water changes since the water from the tank says 1ppm and that is the same reading I'm getting from our tap water. Sorry about all the questions. Thanks

capekate
ammonia is ammonia.. no matter where it comes from, the tap or the tank. IF you have ammonia in your tank you will always have to do water changes on a regular basis. The Prime will help to detoxify it.
What is your PH level? If it is really low.. that would be a big plus.

Nags1965
I like to use Prime as well.. but I had a odd thing happen this morning..after doing a small water change I added my prime and then I added some stress coat.. well I have a strong sulfer smell in the house and the fish are acting funny.. so I did another small water change (bout 5%) quickly and now I'm just kinda watching them..

I guess my question is

Is it harmful to use prime with stress coat?

COBettaCouple
No, those 2 can be used together.

Darlene
ammonia is ammonia.. no matter where it comes from, the tap or the tank. IF you have ammonia in your tank you will always have to do water changes on a regular basis. The Prime will help to detoxify it.
What is your PH level? If it is really low.. that would be a big plus.

My ph from the tap is 7.6 and the ph from the tank is 7.0. I know I will have to do the water changes as long as I have an ammonia reading from the tank, my question is will I always have a reading from the tank since I have ammonia in my tap water... and how long should I wait after adding the new water to the tank to check the chemical levels again? Thanks again.

Nags1965
No, those 2 can be used together.

Hmmm.. so no wI have to wonder what's going on. Maybe I'm just looking for trouble because the smell was strong in the house. Perhaps the fish are acting fine and I'm the one acting funny LOL. wouldnt be the first time

capekate
My ph from the tap is 7.6 and the ph from the tank is 7.0. I know I will have to do the water changes as long as I have an ammonia reading from the tank,

my question is will I always have a reading from the tank since I have ammonia in my tap water...

and how long should I wait after adding the new water to the tank to check the chemical levels again? Thanks again.

It is possible to end up with zero ammonia in your tank, in spite of the ammonia showing in your tap. Once your beneficial bacteria, your nitrogen cycle is complete, you should have enough good bacteria to be able to handle the ammonia that is in your tap. Right now, you do not have enough since the tank has not cycled yet.
With your water changes, (which ironically add ammonia ...almost sounds like it is defeating its purpose of water changes,) adding the Prime, and waiting for the cycle to complete will all help get you to your goal. Bottled water or maybe finding a good fresh water source, you can possibly mix the tap with another water source that does not have ammonia and would be cutting down on the amount of ammonia going into your tank.

I would wait 24 hours after a water change to do a test. But the best true record IMO would be doing a test just before your water change.

Darlene
Bottled water or maybe finding a good fresh water source, you can possibly mix the tap with another water source that does not have ammonia and would be cutting down on the amount of ammonia going into your tank.[/I]

I would wait 24 hours after a water change to do a test. But the best true record IMO would be doing a test just before your water change.

Thanks I have to run out this morning anyway so I will try picking up some bottled water, since we have smaller tanks it won't cost to much and try some water changes with that.

I think I would be lost without this group, so thanks everyone!

capekate
Sounds great.. and I agree, good thing they are only 10 gallon tanks. You should do ok with a half/half mix of your tap and bottled water.
Good luck with that... ;D

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Wraithen
Replies
Views
Ridilen
Replies
Views
JLDJ
Replies