Do HOB produce any gas exchange with steady flow?

ShrimpDaddy28
Hello, people say that water flow from hang on back filters create enough gas exchange for the tank. I just recently installed a filter baffle to the HOB and it now creates a steady stream along the top of the water. This flow does not make bubbles compared to a waterfall like flow. Does anyone know if the same amount of gas exchange occurs or lessens because of the type of flow. The reason why I ask is because I have a small air pump in the tank and would like to know if I still need to run it at all. I posted a picture to give you a better idea of what the flow looks like.
1643583101013.jpeg

Advertisement
Lakefish
Doubt you need the air pump. Unless your water is super warm and/or there are way too many fish in there, the plants and the surface movement should be enough. The plants won’t be putting out oxygen at night, so if you’re wanting to be extra cautious, you could run the air pump on a timer while it’s dark.

Advertisement
Zach72202
I used a HOB for gas exchange in one of my tanks before and I found that it did a great job... until it stopped working and I didn't notice right away and half my fish died.

So, yeah- I recommend having an air source in the tank such as a stone or sponge filter in addition to any hob or canister.

WRWAquarium
Depends on how heavily stocked the tank is and what fish species you have?

I would personally keep the airstone running alongside. The HOB has some good surface movement but not really agitating it.

ShrimpDaddy28
I have about 10-20 neocaridina shrimp, 1 guppy, and a 3-4 week old mystery snail. Lakefish made a good point to just keep the air pump only at night while my aquarium plants produce oxygen during the day.
Can a take have too much gas exchange if I left the air pump and filter on running all day?

KingOscar
It depends on how the output flow is set up. If the water surface looks choppy, vs. smooth and flat, that's when you are getting more gas exchange. It would be extremely difficult to have too much exchange. Fish like oxygen!

ShrimpDaddy28
I wish I could show a video on this platform. The best way I can explain the output flow would be that it flows horizontally along the surface of the tank. I also have a bunch of hornwort where the output flow is located, so in my perspective there isn't a lot of surface agitation. I was wondering if it would be safe enough to just keep my air pump on at night and turn it off during the day.
I wish I could show a video on this platform. The best way I can explain the output flow would be that it flows horizontally along the surface of the tank. I also have a bunch of hornwort where the output flow is located, so in my perspective there isn't a lot of surface agitation. I was wondering if it would be safe enough to just keep my air pump on at night and turn it off during the day.
considering the amount of live stock I have

Revan
I never seemed to have a problem with gas exchange with my HOB, although I recently added a sponge filter (not for surface agitation, just for a cyano treatment). The air pump I purchased for the treatment has two nozzles and came with air diffusers, so I'll probably just leave one in when I move my sponge filter to a (hopefully) future 5-gallon tank.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
peachsonas
  • Question
Replies
Views
StarGirl
Replies
Views
JayH